first batch of apfelwein... What went wrong?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
...'cause it is really tasty!

Okay, I bottled my first ever batch of apfelwein today. Now from all I have read it should take me at least 3 glasses to aquire a taste for it...

I had a small glass of the remanants at bottling and it was TASTY! :ban:

So maybe it gets nasty with conditioning??? or I am just strange and find it quite brilliant from the get go? :fro:

Okay, yes, I am strange but, come on, this is good stuff, yeah?

Just bottled my 1st batch last weekend. I decided to carb half. The other half I left flat. I am going to drink as a "spritizer" by mixing it with sprite. 3/4 apfelwein and 1/4 sprite, VERY TATSY and way cheaper than my normal vodka collins or Jameson and Ginger Ale.....

Anyone know if Sam's Club has apple juice?

edit: damn, looks like I can get 1.5 gals for 3.88. I was paying that per gallon @ the grocery store. Though 1.5 gals doesn't exactly work out with evenly to 5 gals, meaning I'd have to use part of a jug, or just make a 6 gallon batch and up the corn sugar by 1/5th.

The grocery store was doing 1/2 gallon jugs 3 for $4
Dextrose was $1.50
Yeast was $.50-an amazing bang for the buck-and sooo easy to make.

I've only drank a few flat glasses (not carbed yet)-but it is crazy how 'gulpable' this stuff is. Most wine is much stronger on the tastebuds, but with this, you almost have to drink full mouthfulls to even have the flavor come across...makes it a little tough to stand up afterwards though.

Evan! said:
Anyone know if Sam's Club has apple juice?

edit: damn, looks like I can get 1.5 gals for 3.88. I was paying that per gallon @ the grocery store. Though 1.5 gals doesn't exactly work out with evenly to 5 gals, meaning I'd have to use part of a jug, or just make a 6 gallon batch and up the corn sugar by 1/5th.

That's what I use for the Apfelwein and my Apple Wines, great buy. I use Vodka in the airlocks so I have some around and mix some up with the Apple juice when everything is in the primary! Also great as a 25% mixer with Mead!
:drunk:

Back