Wiring up my Ranco?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatFishGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got in my Ranco temp controller, but im not sure how to hook up the power cords. theres only six contacts so i know it can only go a few ways, but a simple snapshot or basic instructions would really help me out. I am normally good with wiring but it came with no instructions.
Thanks,
Sam

Don't forget to wirenut the grounds together when you wire that Ranco up. You want to make sure that the fridge/freezer can drop voltage to the ground if it needs to.

I'm probably bearing my electrical ignorance for the world to see here, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the grounded 3-prong extension cord, and use that third green wire. I'm assuming you're using it for a fridge or freezer, and just about all of them have three prongs. The only difference between that link and doing it with a 3-prong is:

1) Use a three-prong extension cord only, and ditch the power strip. This will give you two green wires.
2) Connect the two green wires together, either by not cutting them in the first place or by using one of those twist-on wire connectors.
3) Follow the rest of the directions as shown in the link.

I'm probably being over-cautious, but the owner's manual for my chest freezer I wired up last month said that it was only to be used with a three-prong outlet. I know I've got a link here somewhere, I'll post it when I find it.

Cheers,
Dom

ya i noticed on the first link provided that it showed how to wire a regular two-pronged extension to a power strip. i am using it for a freezer so i got the grounded version. But i figured out to connect the grounds. Thanks for the help everyone.
-Sam

Okay, so time to wire my Ranco up. I read a lot of posts on this board but want to check a few things and make sure I'm getting this correct.

On this diagram below:

3493d1196395176-ranco-wiring-picture-3.jpg

(except I'm using two stage and have that diagram here)

And referring also to this post:

Wiring a Ranco Temperature Controller - BrewBoard

The black, (hot or live) wire is used as a short patch wire to connect the "C" in the lower section (one wire for each stage) to the "120" (actually 240 for me, Europe and all) in the top section.

The black wire from the first and second stage will go to the "NO" on the lower section, in each of their respective stage areas.

The white (common) wire from the first and second stage and the main wire will be twisted together then put into the "COM" hole in the top section.

The green wire (ground) for each of the three wires will be twisted together. But here's where I have a real serious question too, can I use electrical tape for this? I have had NO luck at all finding a wire nut. Just went to two home depot type stores here and scoured their electrical sections for some time and had no luck. I found electrical tape, though, that came in various colors, as on Wikipedia:

Electrical tape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ground wire here is green and yellow striped not just green. Basically, I have 3 sets of tape, one in each color for each wire, so have one roll, as on Wikipedia, that's green and yellow striped. But I don't know if this is really safe. I need to get some advice from someone who knows better than I do.

Any help is appreciated.

I know this is an old thread but the one question that others asked is the same one i have but it has not been answered yet. Can i just combine the two grounds together?

I know this is an old thread but the one question that others asked is the same one i have but it has not been answered yet. Can i just combine the two grounds together?

Don't forget to wirenut the grounds together when you wire that Ranco up. You want to make sure that the fridge/freezer can drop voltage to the ground if it needs to.

:mug:

I just wired my Ranco today :) I bought it used and it did not come w/ a manual. Is S1 the desired temp and dif1 the +- allowance? Is C1 = cooling & H1 = heating?

Example
C1
s1: 40
dif1: 5

Would cool to 40 deg F and kick on at 45deg F

Here is a very simple wiring diagram that I threw together for myself, I needed the colors to be in there.

Hope it helps :)

Ranco Wiring Diagram.jpg

MY extension cord does not have black and white wires, but has a green wire (ground I'm assuming). Does it matter what wire is connected as the "black wire" and which is connected to the "white wire" as long as they are consistent. Need help from someone thanks in advance.

Nevermind - I figured it out

the plug on the left side (if looking directly at it) is the hot wire (black)

I know this is a really old thread, but it was VERY helpful to me this evening as I wired up my new Ranco ETC 141000. (I didn't really need the NEMA 4X, but I got it cheaper off of ebay than the 111000.) Thanks to everyone that posted here!

Glad it helped :) Though I actually went to a most cheaper (in price) solution as I thought the Ranco was a bit too costly. The one (well, three now actually :) ) is 25$ and work a treat. Still have the Ranco sitting in a box somewhere.

Well, I got the Ranco for $40 on ebay including shipping. Not too bad for that. $10 for the extension cord and $0.35 for the romex so I have a little over $50 in it which is pretty good since they go for much more pre-wired at vendors... What did you go with?

Thanks again!

Back