garage cleanout to make brew room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanf76

Reaction score
cant wait to get back into the swing of brewing. havent brewed in 2 1/2 years just picked up the stuff to make a honey wheat. i also got to buy a good propane burner any suggestions? any one have any good DIY brew projects i need things to do to stay occupied. I am also looking for a small wood lathe to turn out some tap handles

On my phone so it doesn't give me your location. I have a propane burner and stand I don't use anymore works great for 5 to 10 gal batches ten bucks if u want it. I'm in Ft. Wayne, IN.

Make a hop sipder they are an easy first project cheap and very usefull.

Hard to make realistic suggestions w/o knowing more. $$, batch size, growth plans, SAF ratings, etc.
My plan is to purchase a Blichmann floor burner, to use the Keggle that I recently purchased. I purchased it because my turkery fryer setup was too small for the AG batches I wanted to make utilizing my 10gal Cooler MLT.

i also got to buy a good propane burner any suggestions?

I would suggest this burner:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That burner has more than enough output for a 5g or 10g batch, is very fuel efficient, and has a pretty strong stand. I got rid of mine because I got a "better" one (that uses the same burner the Blichmann uses) but I much prefer the old one and will be ordering another.

The "better" one works but it uses about 5 times as much propane for a brew session, mostly because the physical burner is so large a lot of the heat goes up the side of my brew kettle instead of actually heating the wort.

Last edited by a moderator:
DIY Keggle
DIY Mash Tun
DIY Temperature Controller
DIY Yeast Starter Stirplate
DIY Fermentation Chamber

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That burner has more than enough output for a 5g or 10g batch, is very fuel efficient, and has a pretty strong stand. I got rid of mine because I got a "better" one (that uses the same burner the Blichmann uses) but I much prefer the old one and will be ordering another.

The "better" one works but it uses about 5 times as much propane for a brew session, mostly because the physical burner is so large a lot of the heat goes up the side of my brew kettle instead of actually heating the wort.

I'll second that burner. I got one last summer to replace an old jet burner that I had. I've been very satisfied.

It's hard to beat for $52 shipped.

I'll second that burner. I got one last summer to replace an old jet burner that I had. I've been very satisfied.

It's hard to beat for $52 shipped.

Third it. I got this a few years ago to stick under my jambalaya pot. Works good for brewing too with 10 or 20 PSI regulator. Unlike some of the cheaper home depot burners, this one is super stable with 10 gal wort in a keggle.

JadeMonkeyStang said:
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SQ14-Single-Outdoor/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335467254&sr=8-1

Will this work with say a 60 quart pot? I am looking to buy an outdoor burner and a new pot. What size is everyone else using with this burner?

cant wait to get back into the swing of brewing. havent brewed in 2 1/2 years just picked up the stuff to make a honey wheat. i also got to buy a good propane burner any suggestions? any one have any good DIY brew projects i need things to do to stay occupied. I am also looking for a small wood lathe to turn out some tap handles
The bayou classics are definitely great for the money. It's what I use now and puts out tons of heat. I am looking for a second burner so I can attempt *gasp* 15 gallon brewdays...10 on one and 5 on another.

You didn't specify a price range so we shouldnt assume you want the cheapest. I'm looking at the blichmann burner for my second and they say it's more efficient and uses less gas. I'm not sure about that but I do like the legs that attach if I need to go portable.

Good luck and welcome back!

Latest posts

Back