Honey Maibock Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinebackerbrU

Reaction score
I could really use some guidance due to a fermentation cross roads I am currently at. On Sunday, February 26th I brewed a six gallon honey maibock extract recipe. I created a 2L starter using White Labs 830 yeast. After pitching the starter I placed my primary in 68 deg temps for about 12 hrs after getting some action. I slowly brought it down to a temp of approx 52 degrees. Bubbling pretty much ceased at day 10 and without consulting anyone, I brought my primary up to 68 degrees for D-rest, which lasted for 24 hrs.

This is the point I am currently at. I am at a loss on whether I botched the process and rushed to quickly to D-rest or am I alright due to the fact I added a hopefully healthy yeast starter? What should I do at this point, moving forward? Should I keep it in the primary back at 52 degrees for at least two more weeks? Should a rack to a secondary and keep it in the fifties? Thirties?

I feel like a lost puppy needing direction. Can this batch be salvaged? I figure the answer is yes, but I have no clue how to move forward positively.

What gravity reading are you currently at? That's the most important factor

I was a little nervous to check due to opening up the bucket but I guess this would be good to do. If a gravity reading stays steady for a few days, what then?

Once gravity finishes and stays steady, should I rack to a secondary to begin lagering? Temps are rising here in Pennsylvania, should I lager in my refrigerator keeping temps in the thirties?

Back