Should I Re Aerate When Adding New Yeast & Fruit (Lambic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
originally posted in beginner forum:

Not really a "beginner question"

Ok, so I am "attempting" my first Lambic. I brewed it up this morning and pitched US-05 for the first phase of fermentation. After that has completed I will be racking onto 46oz of Raspberry Puree and my pitching Belgian Lambic Blend Yeast (wyeast).

My question is... Is it ok to re-aerate after racking onto the raspberries and pitching my liquid yeast? I believe that it would be OK because the new yeast/bacteria will go through there own fermentation cycle and will need available oxygen to do so...and will ultimately purge the carboy of all oxygen. Is this correct?

No. Do not aerate.

Brett does not need oxygen and it is toxic to pediococcus. Plus, aerating the beer risks creating cardboard flavors and introducing acetobacter which will turn your beer into vinegar.

that makes sense and I'm glad I asked... I just figured the Belgian Ale Yeast would require oxygen to get to work. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back