Electric burner...burns things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
My stove top is electric, and when I get something going to a full boil, some of the ingredients get burned to the bottom. I lost an entire batch because of it once (it tasted like burned toast). Anyone have any tips/gadgets on getting a full boil going without having the bottom of the brew pot get hot enough to burn my ingredients?

Sounds strange to me because I also use electric stove top and never had this problem. What do you mean by some of the ingradients? Is it DME or LME? I take my boiling pot of the burner when add DME and put it back on only when sure all has been disolved.

If you're using LME, you've got to stir it when you add it or it'll sink to the bottom and scorch. DME doesn't have this problem, at least not to the same degree. Can't see how whether the heat source is electric or gas would matter.

AdIn said:
Sounds strange to me because I also use electric stove top and never had this problem. What do you mean by some of the ingradients? Is it DME or LME? I take my boiling pot of the burner when add DME and put it back on only when sure all has been disolved.

I'm guessing it was the hops and liquid malt extract that got burned to the bottom. I don't use dry malt extract. The burner even managed to imprint the bottom of my (old) enamel brew pot. Some of the enamel got permanently stuck to the burner! I now have a stainless steel pot, and even my first brew with it left a few marks on the bottom of the inside of my brewpot in the shape of my burner. I need to get that diffuser to keep the heat even.

Latest posts

Back