Keezer not getting cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to dump this thing so I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone has any different ideas. My keezer worked fine all winter. I went outside into the garage and the garage had a funny "wet metal" smell to it. I didn't think anything of it until I checked the keezer and it was the same temp as the garage. It's not chilling anymore.

I turned it off and let it sit off for 2 days. I turned it back on and still not chilling. Either my coolant is gone or something else... I have no knowledge on refrigeration systems so to me it is either working or broke.

I bought the freezer off craigslist and it was old when I bought it. It worked fine for 2 years then crapped out. Any ideas on things I can check?

If it's out of coolant I'm getting a new one cause chances are there is a more sinister reason for it being out of coolant other than "it just ran out."

When you plug it in you said it doesn't cool. But what is it doing? Is the compressor kicking on and running or do you hear clicking near the compressor? It's possible it's out of freon, and if that is the case throw it away. But it could just be the start capacitor. Search 3in1 universal Start capacitor

Hey... even if it does not work don't toss it.

I bought a chest freezer on craigslist, got it home, and it failed.

Took it back to the guy, he turned it on, out his hand on the copper tube coming out of the compressor and then gave me my money back.

I then offered him $25 bucks for it anyway, took it home and cut the compressor out and now I use it as an ICE CHEST...

It is great to take to a party where there is no power, 80 pounds of ice poured on five (5) Corney Kegs will last over 3 days with ice to spare.

I now just leace it out is a camp site and use it not only for Kegs but may food for up to a week.

Just an Idea...

It sounds like it turns on. I hear that compressor sound and it even sounds like some liquid moving around. Just not cooling. It does not vibrate though. It used to vibrate/hum when it would run in the past. So there was a hum and a compressor noise when it would run. It lost the hum. :drunk:

Hey... even if it does not work don't toss it.

I bought a chest freezer on craigslist, got it home, and it failed.

Took it back to the guy, he turned it on, out his hand on the copper tube coming out of the compressor and then gave me my money back.

I then offered him $25 bucks for it anyway, took it home and cut the compressor out and now I use it as an ICE CHEST...

It is great to take to a party where there is no power, 80 pounds of ice poured on five (5) Corney Kegs will last over 3 days with ice to spare.

I now just leace it out is a camp site and use it not only for Kegs but may food for up to a week.

Just an Idea...

That sounds like a neat idea but I've got no place to keep an ice chest that big.

Well I am in Fairfax so if it goes out let me know...

At a minimum I could use a couple "hinges" as the one at the campsite in Winchester rusted through...

Latest posts

Back