Lyle's Black Treacle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyzippers

Reaction score
I've decided to try a concoction I came up with that I would call an RIS. I put together the recipe on brewmasterswarehouse.com and since they carry Lyle's black treacle, I thought I would try it in the recipe. Unfortunately, I did all that a bit late as I plan on brewing this weekend, which does not leave enough time for shipping. (I live in a Podunk town that doesn't have fancy stores and junk) So! My question is this: since I won't have the treacle this weekend, I'm going to substitute with molasses. Has any one used both? If so, what types of differences can I expect? Any?

I have use molasses in the boil but not treacle. It may have been Zainasheff's book that stated that treacle is most similar to the darkest and unrefined of molasses.

You can always add the treacle into the fermenter. I usually add my baking sugars, maple syrups, and honeys by nearly simmering them with a bit of water and then dumping the cooled liquid into the carboy a few days after fermentation begins. Some literature sources claim that boiling will eliminate desirable flavor and aroma compounds of such ingredients.

Thanks for the suggestions djonas. I'm not sure why it hadn't crossed my mind to add the sugar to the fermenter. That just may be what I do!

Sure! There are also some conveniences associated with doing so. For example, your original gravity will be lower so you can pitch a smaller starter or buy less packets of yeast to use. You may also get more treacle notes because the substance was not boiled excessively. Just make sure you pasteurize it so that you don't end up unintentionally adding some other critters into your carboy!

Treacle is cheap and in every grocers in Britain, very hard to find and expensive in the States.

A mixture of honey and Molasses is the best substitute I've found but is NOT the same thing. I mainly brew Brit styles so I have made the same recipe with both and they always turn out different.

Treacle is very consistent in flavor, molasses is all over the place. If you are looking to sub the closest I find is a brand called Briar Rabbit. Avoid black strap molasses - it's a type not a band - it has a very strong flavor. You might like it in a RIS, it is just not close to treacle.

This is all great info guys. It's much appreciated.

BroStefan, I've found Treacle for around $7/pound online here in the states. But otherwise, it's not real common. And apparently, even black strap molasses is even a rarity in my neck of the woods. I'm going to order some online and add to the fermenter. I like that plan.

Back