Poll: Do you want to know your SO's "History"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want to know your SO's History?

• Yes, I NEED to know these things

• No, Less is more

• Really, Who cares?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JMD87

Reaction score
I've always refused to acknowledge my significant others' history's as I feel it would never have made me happy afterwords, regardless of the 'damage'. Last night I got into a discussion with my swmbo about her history, and lucky for me it's not bad at all, and I'm slightly happy that I had an open mind about it.

What's everyone else's take on this matter?

Yes, and whether he brewed a better beer than you...

No just the F*cking part

Yep! I need to know this stuff. I know it's not my business, but I like to feed my self-destructive tendencies at every opportunity. We discussed all that at a very early stage in our relationship. I'm sure she held some stuff back though, as did I.

There are some things in my past that made me grateful for the relief it brought when one by one my family died, taking their knowledge of my past with them. And I ain't telling that stuff to NO ONE :D

I require a blood test, a credit report and a background check after a ten day cooling off period.

Seriously, I don't give a damn. If you've grown attached to a person, have formed a relationship with them and love who they are now, it shouldn't matter if they performed nightly in The Juarez Donkey Show. Of course I can say that because I've been married 25 years and my wife has never been to Juarez.

Yep! I need to know this stuff. I know it's not my business
I don't wanna speak for your relationship, because I know nothing of it but I feel that it is your business if you are in a committed relationship and devoted to one another.

I certainly want to know, and it doesn't bother me because I am the only person she has had sex with.

My SWMBO and I talk about our past, but it's not a high priority that I know who she was with. If they were that important, she'd still be with em I wot.

What my wife did before meeting me is really none of my business. Now, if there was something in her past or mine that might be pertinent to our relationship, I would hope we would both be mature enough to talk about it and handle it accordingly.

That said, we've both been open about and there aren't any skeletons around. In fact, we tease each other about it.

"I'M 37?!?!?" :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think, subconsciously, my SWMBO's past made me a homebrewer. The guy she was with right before we met was a homebrewer, and (apparently) he also had a gignormous cock. So, I think subconsciously, I associated making my own beer with growing a hge pecker.

I'm sad to report that, in fact, homebrewing has not been of any assistance :(

Hey! I keep getting emails about that. I'll forward them to you.

Chad

i don't want to go parsing through my past sexual history, so i've never made it something i need to be privy to.

"I'M 37?!?!?" :mad: :mad: :mad:

The guy she was with right before we met was a homebrewer, and (apparently) he also had a gignormous cock.

:(

Man, that would eat me alive inside....

I think I just have issues though

... I think subconsciously, I associated making my own beer with growing a huge pecker.

I'm sad to report that, in fact, homebrewing has not been of any assistance :(

WHAT ?!?! It doesn't? DAMNIT !!

For Sale: A whole **** load of brewing equipment.

TO answer the OP: No, I have no interest in knowing. After 7 years of marriage, exactly what good can come out of it. Any even in an early relationship, what benefit does that conversation have. We know each other are 'experienced' and we have a great sex life. Fun, Romantic, 'Naughty', Adventurous, etc.. It is what it is depending on moods and nothing precludes us from having open conversation about OUR sex life so I don't see any benefit to THAT conversation about a past life.

HWMBO and I were best friends for 1.5 years before we started dating so I had some level of knowledge about his past. I knew that his last gf cheated on him, and in our talkings as we started dating it came up. He's been with one more person than me.

IMO, in a long-term committed relationship, there's no need for that to be a secret. He knows everything about me, and I think that I know everything about him.

Red and I have talked (and still do on occasion) about previous relationships. Doesn't really bother me - all the choices she made have brought her to me, and I consider myself very lucky!

Well, this one is a tough one to answer because I was close friends with my wife for quite some time before we started dating, ergo, I already not only knew who she had been with previously, I was actually there when they were dating (at least for those she started dating after we became friends, for the others I just knew all about them). I think knowing each other so well before becoming involved is one of the things that makes our relationship work since we already knew all those dirty little secrets most people hide, especially at the beginning of a relationship.

As for "needing" to know, hypothetically, if I didn't already know, I would want to have some idea just to get a sense for who my significant other is, but other than making sure I'm not going to contract a disease, I don't think it really matters.

We were each other's first and will be each other's last, but we have both been with other people. There was no cheating involved, we just didn't speak for about 5 years and then got back together in after college. The past is the past and I don't like to look backwards...

the last time i was serios bout the girl i didn't like hearing bout her past sexlife but she kept bringing it up in all kinds of ways(she did have 10-11 yrs on me) always kinda depressed me to hear her go og about it. my wife on the other hand hardly ever talks about her past sex life, i like it better this way:D

It really doesn't matter to me, I know a fair bit of information about my wife's "history", but it really wouldn't make a difference if I knew nothing or had all of the gory details.

Red and I have talked (and still do on occasion) about previous relationships. Doesn't really bother me - all the choices she made have brought her to me, and I consider myself very lucky!

We consider you very lucky too.

Rat bastard.

:D

There are some things in my past that made me grateful for the relief it brought when one by one my family died, taking their knowledge of my past with them. And I ain't telling that stuff to NO ONE :D

F*cked one of your cousins, eh? :mug:

Yep! I need to know this stuff. I know it's not my business, but I like to feed my self-destructive tendencies at every opportunity.

Man, I am with you on that. I always get into those conversations with girlfriends, and always walk away hurt. I don't know why I expect/want my girlfriend to be pure/untainted and not have slept with a whole ton of people, but I have been a bad, bad, bad boy for a long time, and have never dated a girl who has been with more people than me...even after I leave a lot of things out.

but, I have tried to not have those conversations, and it eats me up just as bad.

I assume that I am just really messed up in the head, and it is something I need to deal with. :tank:

I've had plenty of relationships full of secrets and lies.... Big surprise they didn't work out. Being afraid of or hiding from your past is a waste of energy. You have to find some pride in where you've been and what you've done. Without all of that experience, you wouldn't be who you are. My SWMBO was a dorky late bloomer with very little "history". I started at a young age; all over the place with alcohol, drugs, sex, etc., etc. So when the history conversation started up early on in our relationship, I was scared, but I was also totally sure that I wanted to tell her everything. That day was a little rattling for her, but in the end, we know each other intimately now.... that intimacy never would have happened if it weren't for our willingness to share our pasts.

I pushed for it for over a year, and once I finally got the answer (I was only looking for a number), I realized I was the whore...I've slept with 3 times as many women as she has men, but then again, my number is still pretty low.

Other than that, I don't give a crap, I have her now, cue the music, bwhahahahahahahaha!

Man, I am with you on that. I always get into those conversations with girlfriends, and always walk away hurt. I don't know why I expect/want my girlfriend to be pure/untainted and not have slept with a whole ton of people, but I have been a bad, bad, bad boy for a long time, and have never dated a girl who has been with more people than me...even after I leave a lot of things out.

but, I have tried to not have those conversations, and it eats me up just as bad.

I assume that I am just really messed up in the head, and it is something I need to deal with. :tank:

I've had plenty of relationships full of secrets and lies.... Big surprise they didn't work out. Being afraid of or hiding from your past is a waste of energy. You have to find some pride in where you've been and what you've done. Without all of that experience, you wouldn't be who you are. My SWMBO was a dorky late bloomer with very little "history". I started at a young age; all over the place with alcohol, drugs, sex, etc., etc. So when the history conversation started up early on in our relationship, I was scared, but I was also totally sure that I wanted to tell her everything. That day was a little rattling for her, but in the end, we know each other intimately now.... that intimacy never would have happened if it weren't for our willingness to share our pasts.

I agree with you two. If you are the kind of person affected by this issue, then it's best to get it done and out of the way early. Feelings hurt by the facts heal over easy enough. Doubts linger and fester.

sexual history?

Why not? Good bedside conversation.

(yes, the only girl I ever seriously pursued used to talk to me about all the stuff she's done and stuff, it was fine, didn't bother me, actually some of it was kind of hot o.o;; )

sexual history?

Why not? Good bedside conversation.

(yes, the only girl I ever seriously pursued used to talk to me about all the stuff she's done and stuff, it was fine, didn't bother me, actually some of it was kind of hot o.o;; )

having sex in the Inner Harbor is not hot...but in an alley by the block, now that's cool

having sex in the Inner Harbor is not hot...but in an alley by the block, now that's cool

She was a California girl, not local. (It's complicated, don't ask.)

Also things didn't work out, I have no idea how to deal with chicks, or people. Also doesn't help that I don't like relationships in general and never really put much thought into it until then....

Anyway I'm single now. Forever. Yay right?

She was a California girl, not local. (It's complicated, don't ask.)

Also things didn't work out, I have no idea how to deal with chicks, or people. Also doesn't help that I don't like relationships in general and never really put much thought into it until then....

Anyway I'm single now. Forever. Yay right?

go to Fed Hill, there are tons of hotties over there

Certainly you cannot make a statement like that & expect nobody to ask what you did. Don't you remember the poor sap who got a bunch of salt poured in his beer? We're not giving up on him either...

Feel free to make stuff up on my behalf. Others have started already. ;)

My lips are sealed. I have grown too accustomed to the anonymity of having a dead family and living in another continent to blow my cover now! :)

Yes there are. Lots of eye candy in those bars, including Jenna Bush...:mug:

quagmire38659hq.jpg

giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity

i've no need to know the sordid history of the mother of my children, and i've heard that is indeed sordid. :ban:

point is, knowing the history has not changed the relationship in one way or another, as it didn't factor into the equation in the first place.

Back