My attempt at a Blue Moon clone. (Not Bad!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)
0.63 oz Pearle [8.20%] (60 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.38 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs Safale Ale Yeast (DCL Yeast #US-05)
[Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 17.0 IBU
Est Color: 3.5 SRM

The beer smells and tastes just like a blue moon. The only deviation in the taste is probably the bitterness that sneaks through from the perle. It is still very green however, and I am guessing/hoping that it will clean up a little bit.

I stayed away from a definitive wheat yeast because I wanted a crisper beer with a citrus taste to it, and I've read a couple places that mentioned Blue Moon uses a Cali yeast in their brew.

The absence of white wheat is solely due to the fact that my LHBS was out of it when I went, and I didn't want to drive over an hour to the other one. I don't know if it is because of the wheat I used, but the beer just doesn't have that orange color like Blue Moon. It looks more hazy yellow.

Does anyone know how I can get that orange color in the brew? Does it come fromt he orange peel, or do you think they might add a touch of color?

Overall, the first couple tastes I had were great, especially considering it is still very green. (about 12 days from brew day)

Any suggestions or comments on the recipe would be greatly appreciated!!

I made a 10g batch of AHS blue moon clone (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=30190) and used .50 oz of coriander. After about 2 months, the orange taste has really started to mellow, but the peppery taste of the coriander is really starting to shine now. I have a feeling as your beer ages the peppery taste of the coriander is really going to be strong.

I have a blue moon clone that needs to be kegged and bottled tomorrow.

I used the recipe from this thread.

Wayne1 is one of the guys who formulated the original recipie for the sandlot brewery at Coor's Field.

I can't wait to pour a pint and see how it turned out.

I have a blue moon clone that needs to be kegged and bottled tomorrow.

I used the recipe from this thread.

Wayne1 is one of the guys who formulated the original recipie for the sandlot brewery at Coor's Field.

I can't wait to pour a pint and see how it turned out.

His comments were the basis of my recipe. As you can see, I follow his 5-4-1 (2-row, wheat, oats) ratio. Except instead of straight white wheat malt I used 3 pounds of belgian wheat malt and a pound of flaked wheat.

I didn't use the hallertauer hops he mentioned, but I did stick to the 17 IBUs. In the future, I dont think I would use perle, but its not too out of line either.

As for the orange and coriander, I tried to follow his 3:1 ratio, but I suspect I used quite a bit more orange peel than my recipe says. (probably more than a half ounce) But the aroma and taste are wonderful, as far as I can tell right now, I wouldn't change the amounts of coriander or orange peel that I used. We'll have to wait a couple weeks to make a final decision on that I guess.

Your farther along than me. I need to get mine into kegs and bottles. So far it looks and smells great.

Grain:

10.25 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
8.25 lbs. White Wheat Malt
2.00 lbs. Flaked Oats

Hops:

1.25 oz. Hallertauer Whole 7.50 19.3 75 min.

Extras:

2.00 Oz Corriander Seed Spice 10 Min.(boil)
0.75 Oz Bitter Orange Peel Spice 5 Min.(boil)

Yeast:

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Back