Novice mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishlion

Reaction score
I'm new to making any type of alcohol, I am serious about the process and getting it right and having it come out (Not perfect nobody gets it perfect the first time) but good. I know what I need and have the money for the expenses. I bought my wooden charred barrel for the finished product and I have the fermentation lock. What I need to know is where do I buy yeast and what kind do I use that is the best. Also how long do I wait for it to finish fermenting and do I have to age it? I may ask more question later and I thank you for any input.

Depending on what you want to brew exactly changes the yeast to be used. Do you want a traditional mead (Honey/water/nutrient/yeast)? Or do you want a Melomel (Fruit mead), Metheglin (Spiced or herbal mead), Cyser (Apple mead), Pyment (Grape mead)...............?

Fermenting time depend on the recipe. I have some done in weeks, others done in months.

Aging is always recommended. Depending on the recipe you may be able to drink it within 3 months but aging 8 - 12 months before drinking is common.

Let us know what your preferences are and we all can direct you to a recipe & directions that will help you out to get a decent product.

I'm new to making any type of alcohol, I am serious about the process and getting it right and having it come out (Not perfect nobody gets it perfect the first time) but good. I know what I need and have the money for the expenses. I bought my wooden charred barrel for the finished product and I have the fermentation lock. What I need to know is where do I buy yeast and what kind do I use that is the best. Also how long do I wait for it to finish fermenting and do I have to age it? I may ask more question later and I thank you for any input.

Buy yeast at you lhbs. As for thy type every one has there own opinion and I'm a fan of lavin. 71b-1122 and d-47 but I'm sure you will come into your own. And as for aging we all say yes just some ppl have different ages I say if you like it drink it. However I like to age 6m to 18m....

A location on your profile would help. There may be someone not too far away who can suggest local suppliers etc....

Latest posts

Back