2 ideas for cheap keggle siphon tube + screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I have two ideas for a trub screen for a keggle siphon tube, both of which should be so cheap as to be essentially free. Tell me what you think or if anyone has tried these.

1. Copper scrubby. (cost: about $.35 each at walmart or wherever). I'm thinking you could work the end of the copper siphon tube deep into the interior of the scrubby and bunch up some of the scrubby under a stainless hose clamp to hold it in place. The siphon tube could be engineered to go very close to the bottom of the keggle and the scrubby would actually be resting on the bottom. My only concern would be how well the strands of copper would withstand the intense heat of being on the bottom of the kettle during boiling.

2. 10" stainless "spatter screen,", laid on the bottom, over the opening of the center "dome." If you cut 6 slits in the center (like a pie) and bent the material up (or down)around the copper siphon tube, you should be able to get a stainless hose clamp on there. Again, the siphon tube could go right down to almost the bottom of the keggle.

I doub't if either of these would be fine-meshed enough to hold pellet hops trub out, but that's easy to avoid by using nylons for pellet hops.

And here would be the easiest solution: instead of running the siphon tube down into the dome, run it to the bottom along the edge. You'd be giving up more wort that way (the volume of the center dome), but you could whirlpool and the trub cone would collect in the center dome. My concern here is whether the siphon tube itself would disturb the whirlpool too much.

If you use two splatter screens and put the tube in the middle, you'd have a very good design. I occasionally lay a splatter screen over my bazooka tube, if I have a really high hop profile.

Copper can handle the heat.

david_42 said:
If you use two splatter screens and put the tube in the middle, you'd have a very good design.

Thanks.

I may not be following you--if the screen covers the width of the "dome" at the bottom of the keggle, and the siphon tube goes through the screen (into the "dome"), why would a second screen below be necessary? No liquid or trub could get to the siphon tube without passing through the screen.

cweston said:
I have two ideas for a trub screen for a keggle siphon tube, both of which should be so cheap as to be essentially free. Tell me what you think or if anyone has tried these.

1. Copper scrubby. (cost: about $.35 each at walmart or wherever). I'm thinking you could work the end of the copper siphon tube deep into the interior of the scrubby and bunch up some of the scrubby under a stainless hose clamp to hold it in place. The siphon tube could be engineered to go very close to the bottom of the keggle and the scrubby would actually be resting on the bottom. My only concern would be how well the strands of copper would withstand the intense heat of being on the bottom of the kettle during boiling.

2. 10" stainless "spatter screen,", laid on the bottom, over the opening of the center "dome." If you cut 6 slits in the center (like a pie) and bent the material up (or down)around the copper siphon tube, you should be able to get a stainless hose clamp on there. Again, the siphon tube could go right down to almost the bottom of the keggle.

I doub't if either of these would be fine-meshed enough to hold pellet hops trub out, but that's easy to avoid by using nylons for pellet hops.

And here would be the easiest solution: instead of running the siphon tube down into the dome, run it to the bottom along the edge. You'd be giving up more wort that way (the volume of the center dome), but you could whirlpool and the trub cone would collect in the center dome. My concern here is whether the siphon tube itself would disturb the whirlpool too much.
That's what I did on my last batch, turned the tube away from center and whirlpooled the trube to the middle, worked like a champ without sacrificing too much wort.

Is it ok to use regular women's nylons for hops in the boil? I guess it would be ok but my only concern is the nylons holding up to the heat of the boil for up to an hour.

Copper scrubby.
The things can barely be reused for scrubbing pots and if you don't dry them out right away they turn into a pile of green/brown mush. I don't think it would take being immersed in hot wort for very long for them to become one with the beer.

CollinsBrew said:
Is it ok to use regular women's nylons for hops in the boil? I guess it would be ok but my only concern is the nylons holding up to the heat of the boil for up to an hour.

The dye will run out of them.

Back