Advice on modifying a Stout Kit (partial mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waskelton4

Reaction score
well.. at least i think it's partial mash.. that line seems kinda blurry to me.

anyway..
I have a B3 Stout Kit (5 gal) that contains the following

grain/extract
7lbs ultralight malt
1lb Crystal 40L
8oz Black Roasted
4oz Black Patent
4oz Chocolate Malt

hops
1oz Northern Brewer (60min)
1oz Cascade (1min)

Whirfloc

Nottingham Ale yeast

That is what came in the kit. I also bought 2 lbs of flaked barley (which i have since found out is probably way too much) because i've seen it in a number of stout recipies and read somewhere that it will increase mouthfeel and head retention.

I also have a 49 oz can of Oregon Sweet Cherry Puree. (3lb 1oz)

I was set at first on making a cherry stout but since this is my first stout i have thought it might be smarter to just make a plain stout and if i like it as is then do another one with the cherry.

questions are..
with the recipie above.. how much flaked barley should i add (if any) and how should i go about adding it. I think it is supposed to be mashed with the rest of the grain, which according to the kit instructions say to put all of the grain in the bag and in the pot of water and slowly bring the water to 170F taking at least 30 min to do so. will this work for the flaked barley?

also.. thoughts about the cherry?

I'm probably gonna be brewing on thurs (10/26)

many thanks!

Will

That's an extract+specialty grain kit, not a partial mash. All the starches in those grains have been converted to sugar already, so all you need to do is steep them to dissolve it into solution. Your flaked barley, on the other hand will need to be mashed since it has no sugars in it. And thus the recipe would become a partial mash. Since FB can't convert itself, you'd need to mash it with some 2-row at about 153F for 45-60minutes, then rinse the sugars out of it.

You could add about a pound of FB to that recipe, but you'll be okay without it.

The crystal malt will also give it some body since it's about 99% unfermentable sugars anyway.

If you can't get to the HBS for some 2 row before brewday then I'd just skip the FB.

As for the cherry, I personally would double or triple the amount of chocolate malt to offset the cherry taste some. It might over power the chocolate malt otherwise.

Are you going for a sweet or a dry stout with the cherry?

thanks..
i guess that clears it up some re: my confusion with the partial mashing.

i'll just leave the flaked barley out for now.
probably will do the same with the cherries..

Back