new better bottle-sanitize enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
I had some leftover sanitizer from my apple wine and a new better bottle that i'm using this weekend--i sanitized the bottle and it was been sitting upside down for a day as the bubble subside. can i just give it a rinse ow with distilled water and be done? or does it have to be seasoned like a new pan, washed with a mild detergent and then sanitized?

thanks-trying to stay green here and minimize water waste...but not at the expense of good beer.

What sanitizer is it?

Most sanitizers we use are NO RINSE, meaning just that, to rinse them defeats the purpose....also many of them are WET CONTACT, meaning you drain them somewhat, but you rack your beer/wine right on top of them. At the proper concentration they don't affect the flavor of what you are fermenting....

Starsan for instance you rack right onto the foam, and the foam becomes food for the yeast...

Ideally you only sanitize just before you use the implement....not the night before...

I personally would re-sanitize it just before you use it, in the interest of good beer. :D

Here's some good info on sanitizing, and sanitizers if you are interested. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

thanks, it was star san.....i'm gonna need to make a small batch of sanitizer tomorrow when i brew i'll give the better bottle some more love with that...it's sealed with cellophane now.

What sanitizer is it?

Most sanitizers we use are NO RINSE, meaning just that, to rinse them defeats the purpose....also many of them are WET CONTACT, meaning you drain them somewhat, but you rack your beer/wine right on top of them. At the proper concentration they don't affect the flavor of what you are fermenting....

Starsan for instance you rack right onto the foam, and the foam becomes food for the yeast...

Ideally you only sanitize just before you use the implement....not the night before...

I personally would re-sanitize it just before you use it, in the interest of good beer. :D

Here's some good info on sanitizing, and sanitizers if you are interested. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Well if it was starsan, and the foam is still present then you are ok...as long as it's wet it's killing mocro-organisms....

But in the future, remember, DON'T FEAR THE FOAM!!!

Back