Can't lager, got a dopplebock recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmeowsalot

Reaction score
Long story short I ended up with the grains that were suppose to be for a dopplebock. As I mentioned in the title I currently don't have the ability to lager, here is the grain bill:

11.25# German Munich
2.5# 2-row
1.25# Caramunich
1# Melanoidin
.25# Carafa III

Currently I'm kinda at a loss at what to brew with it. I wouldn't be opposed to tweaking it a little bit cause the only thing coming to mind is something like an Old Ale if I added some dark crystal malts. But in all honesty I'd kinda rather aim for a big porter.

I've got a LBHS whose got a ton of malts and hops so throw any ideas out there!

perhaps use a kolsch yeast and go with your original doppelbock idea? I've seen several lager recipes made with kolsch and fermented at (low) ale temperatures, ~62 i believe.

I know it's not the most creative solution, but why not get a nice English Ale yeast and see what happens with this grain bill

Or get a couple of differs yeast strains, split the wort, and have a tasting party when it's done.

Good luck! The best part of your "problem" is that you'll still have beer whatever you do :)

I suppose it would be hard to Lager in Florida....whats the temperature there? How about this for lagering....get a plastic tub and put the fermenter in it. Fill half way with water and use ice to chill it. Put a T-shirt on the carboy and add ice each day as needed. Time consuming sure, but if ya wanna lager without a fridge....may be worth a shot.

Funny enough I've got a kolsch yeast in my fridge right now, so I wouldn't be too against doing half a batch with that and the other half with wlp013 or so.

Currently its a chilling 81 degrees outside lol. The swamp cooler method is what I currently use for my ales. House temp is low 70s and using it gets me mid 60s taking fermentation heat into account.

Unfortunately the issue here is the lack of consistency in the weather, it never seems to stay cold for a long period of time, yet alone 3-4 weeks for me to try and lager.

You could always try the San Fran lager yeast, and just forego lagering. Personally, I think I'd try 1728, and do sort of a Wee Heavy. They aren't that different from doppelbocks, imo.

Solution, mail me your Wort and I will lager it here! Its plenty cold for it here and send it back there :tank: .... of course you pay for shipping both ways and I cant gaurante no oxidation....

I have a brother that lives down in Punta Gorda, he says its paradise. I disagree. I dont like the humidity and the bugs....stupid no-seeums. Right here by the mountains works just fine for me!

I like wee heavys but Idk if I'd like 5 gallons worth. I do like the idea of changing around the recipe tho.

haha tempting, the shipping of the ingredients might not be too bad but the return ship is where it might get me, lol.

Honestly it's nice for a little bit, but the constant humidity were you walk out and it's sticky and muggy 9 months out of the year, gets pretty old. Not to mention the lack of seasons. Eventually looking to make my way north but that's a whiles away.

Back