Cider Rookie Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmorgan83

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers, I'm making my first batch of cider this weekend and really don't have a clue. I'm picking up 5 gallons of unpasteurized cider and starting with that. Any input is appreciated. Basically I just plan on dumping the cider in the fermenter and letting it go. After doing some research it seems no heating is necessary and def. no boiling. What kind of yeast should I add? Or are the natural yeasts enough? Also should I be adding any other ingredients for flavor or will i get enought just out of the cider itself? Any advice and/or recipes are appreciated. Thanks my friends!

A lot of home brewers like their fresh pressed cider au natural. No sugar added,I usually bump it up a bit but that's my taste and I usually add in some source of tannins if the cider doesn't have enough already. When I make cider from store bought juice I add some strongly brewed red rose tea to add in some tannins, and as far as yeast goes you could take your chance with natural yeast, or use a fail proof store bought wine or ale yeast, a lot of people have had good success with Nottingham ale yeast, I have :) but I'll let others speak for the ones I haven't used. I would browse around the forum and you will find lots of very useful info, happy brewing!

Look at the stickies in this forum, and there is a lot of useful information.

+1 on using Nottinngham yeast, that is my go to. One of the stickies has a good breakdown of different yeast strains, both postive and negative.

Hey homebrewers, I'm making my first batch of cider this weekend and really don't have a clue. I'm picking up 5 gallons of unpasteurized cider and starting with that. Any input is appreciated. Basically I just plan on dumping the cider in the fermenter and letting it go. After doing some research it seems no heating is necessary and def. no boiling. What kind of yeast should I add? Or are the natural yeasts enough? Also should I be adding any other ingredients for flavor or will i get enought just out of the cider itself? Any advice and/or recipes are appreciated. Thanks my friends!

From what I've read, when guys buy unpasteurised cider, a lot try and kill off the natural yeasts either buy heating up the cider or using campden tablets. Also heard that natural yeast can produce mixed results, and that they're unpredictable, so better off using your own.

Like the other guys said, Nottingham is highly used. Any ale yeast seems to produce good results, I personally use S-04.

When it comes to adding in flavours, it's really up to you! That's the fun part about making cider, that you can experiment with flavours that you like to drink. I personally recommend Upstatemikes Caramel Apple Cider, but you might not like a sweeter cider. Check out the recipe's page and scroll around for something that might take your fancy, there's heaps there.

Back