gruit ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
Has anyone of you tried to make a gruit ale? I have all the herbs needed (by most recipes for gruit) to make it with no problem....

How does it taste? What should I expect? Is it worth trying?

Is it possible to use dried herbs?

Thanks

I made Scarboro Faire Gruit once.
Let's just say I make sucky Gruit, but really good marinade and leave it at that.

I'm afraid I didn't understand you quite well. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't brew it?

Gruits are difficult

Herbs are a different beast than hops. Some 1 oz is really bitter some 1oz is nothing

There are quite a few charts online (google gruit herbs) and they will give suggestions as far as how to use and how much. Then you need to balance those flavors with the malt. Suggestion take a simple beer you like as a base try t figure what herbs you want to use and do a gallon batch

+1
What he said. Not saying it can't be done, it just isn't easy. I'm sure you've been to gruitale.com?
Mine turned out waaaay too sage-y. But it makes a really good pork or chicken marinade.
For reference, this was the recipe:
Scarborough Faire Ale

6 lbs Light LME
1 oz Parsley (30m)
1 oz Sage, Rubbed (30m)
1 oz Rosemary (30m)
1 oz Thyme (30m)
S-04 Dry English Ale Yeast

Here is a link to suggested adjunt levels:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8...ZjcyOGE1MTVmODZk&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Back