Chemical coagulants as clarifiers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBelch

Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone has knowledge of the use of alum, generally hydrated aluminum potassium sulphate with the formula KAl(SO4)2.12H2O.
This is used in the coalgulation of turbidity particles in municipal water treatment processes. Ever been done for beer?
Cheers,
McBelch

Alum is relatively soluble in water. Ideally you want something that will settle out. I'm not sure how much it would take. If only a small amount it may be OK. Do they use it for drinking water, or for treating wastewater?

I looked in the Merck Index to see what it said and it mentions purifying water, and hardening gelatin too (also baking powders). Based on that I would say don't use it with gelatin. I suspect it operates in a similar manner as gelatin. It has lots of charge sites on it to attract proteins etc. and eventually becoming a large enough clump to settle out. If you mix it with gelatin, they'll probably bind to one another, effectively neutralizing each others activity

There is a patent out there for using alum to prevent chill haze, but I've never seen or read about anyone actually using it.

Sounds like time for an experiment.

Latest posts

Back