done already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoyle83

Reaction score
Three weeks ago (4/4/08) I made some cider (or is it apfelwein?) and either didn't take or didn't record an OG reading for some reason. It was a three gallon batch: 2 gal. of Mott's and 1 gal store brand juice, 1.5 pounds of table sugar (had no dextrose), and red star Montrachet.

Today I took a hydrometer reading to check progress, as it has not been doing much lately and most of the yeast has settled to the bottom, and it was at 0.998. (and it tasted way better than I was expecting!)

This is my first batch of cider, so I am not sure what to do now. I had figured it would take a couple more weeks to get down that low, but I don't have an OG, so I'm kind of in the dark.

I know I need to check it again in a few days, but is there any way that something could ferment out any drier than .998?

Well, most of my wines finish at .990 to .992. It depends on the yeast and the ingredients.

Your cider is probably about done, just make sure to check the SG again next week to make sure it's finished.

Back