rum soaked oaked chips in stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wreck99 said:
When you are done soaking the chips, do you just put the soaked chips in the secondary or the spirits too?

That's up to you, my friend. Depends on if you want more or less rum flavor

When you are done soaking the chips, do you just put the soaked chips in the secondary or the spirits too?

The rum will have extracted a lot of the oak flavors. If that is what you want, add the lot. If you are worried about the rum adding too much flavor, don't. Rum is not a very dominant flavor in beer, and you would need half a bottle or more to get it's flavor really coming thru.

Ok was just wondering. I'm making a kentucky bourbon barrel ale clone right now and have 3oz oak cubes soaking in 250ml knob creek (been soaking 2 weeks already, during primary time basically). I may rack to secondary this week. Last time I checked (about 4 days ago), it was at the dreaded 1020. It's supposed to get to 1.017, so I'll check it again tomorrow. As for the taste, I know for the real KBBA you cant miss the bourbon taste lol so I guess I'll be adding the lot. Thanks for the tips.

Ok was just wondering. I'm making a kentucky bourbon barrel ale clone right now and have 3oz oak cubes soaking in 250ml knob creek (been soaking 2 weeks already, during primary time basically). I may rack to secondary this week. Last time I checked (about 4 days ago), it was at the dreaded 1020. It's supposed to get to 1.017, so I'll check it again tomorrow. As for the taste, I know for the real KBBA you cant miss the bourbon taste lol so I guess I'll be adding the lot. Thanks for the tips.

If you are after the bourbon taste, my bet is that 250 ml will not be enough. My general rule of thumb is 10 ml per bottle, which would mean about 500 ml in 5 gallons.

Try it, pour yourself a beer and add some bourbon to it and see how it tastes. 2 teaspoons is 10 ml.

For reference. 10 ml of bourbon per bottle (12 ozs) will increase the abv by about 1%.

If you are after the bourbon taste, my bet is that 250 ml will not be enough. My general rule of thumb is 10 ml per bottle, which would mean about 500 ml in 5 gallons.

Try it, pour yourself a beer and add some bourbon to it and see how it tastes. 2 teaspoons is 10 ml.

For reference. 10 ml of bourbon per bottle (12 ozs) will increase the abv by about 1%.

Well I figured you can't back-pedal if you add too much, so I was going to rack to secondary with the 250ml and soaked oak, then add more at bottling/kegging. You say roughly 500ml should cover a 5 gallon batch? Ok if I then just add the additional 250ml at bottling/kegging then or would you put all together in secondary? The KBBA you can really taste the bourbon, so I didnt want any of that taste to ferment out. First time making a KBBA clone.

Ok if I then just add the additional 250ml at bottling/kegging then or would you put all together in secondary?

I usually add it at bottling. It will not ferment, so just add it with the priming sugar to the bottling bucket.

I don't have experience with rum, but I did 2oz of bourbon soaked oak chips (just enough bourbon to cover the chips) for a 5g. batch of imperial porter. I added the bourbon at bottling time (leaving the chips behind) without thinking about it much, and the oak flavor was OUTRAGEOUS. The stuff wasn't drinkable until about a year later. I would taste that rum before you do anything hasty. ;-)

Latest posts

Back