Going to try a Kistalllweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaRooster

Reaction score
I have decided to try a kristallweizen. This was one of my favorites, from my years, stationed in Germany. I have included the recipe I intend to use. This is something I threw together myself after doing a bit of research. Please review and let me know what you think. Any advise is appreciated.

Partial Mash Kristallweizen:

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.014
Yeast: WYEAST German Wheat (3333) 2 packages
Color: 2 SRM
IBU: 14.2
ABV 5.1%

4lb 4oz Wheat Liquid Extract
4lb 0oz German Two-row Pils
0 4oz Rice Hulls
boil 45 mins 0.7oz Hallertauer pellet 4.8
boil 15 mins 0.5oz Hallertauer pellet 4.8
boil 15 min 1 tsp Irish Moss

A few questions I have, since this will be my first Weizen:

Should I leave it in the fermenter the normal 3-4 weeks?
How long should it take to condition in the bottle, the normal 3 weeks?
Anything special I should be looking for?

:mug:

Clauduiusb makes an awesome Kistalllweizen, one of his best beers. I do not know the specs on his recipe. You going to use finings to clear this beer? That wheat yeast will take a long time to attenuate.

I had planned on using irish moss. I used it on a pale and amber ale that came out very clear. But, I have been reading about gelatin.

How long do you think it will take to attenuate.

I like Hefeweizens young, the brewer I mentioned ages them like he does lagers. Most people on this website will make a Hefeweizen and drink it within 3 weeks sometimes sooner. I like doing two weeks in the fermenter and two weeks in the keg or bottle. I like them cloudy and yeasty.

Irish moss will help you clear out the chill haze and drop proteins out of suspension. However when you are making a Hefeweizen you are also dealing with the yeast that is in suspension, and those little bastids do not like to drop out of suspension.

They will drop out though, some of my Hefeweizens have cleared out in the bottle within a month or so in the bottle. You would just have to pour slowly and you can get a clear beer. I have never made this style so I do not know if there is a better way (besides filtering and adding finings).

Hopefully others will chime in.

I made a bad ass krystallweizen over the summer. It was a simple fransikaner clone that I had mistaken in my notes/labeling as a kolsch (also I brew in buckets). So, into the chest freezer it went for about 4 weeks at 35 degrees. That = krystallweizen.

Latest posts

Back