PBW rinse/no rinse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
Trying to save some time here bottling today. Never used the PBW Five Star sanitizer, but I have some here and want to use it. The directions say "no rinse", but I've read elsewhere that it needs rinsed. If I don't rinse will it kill the head of the beer? Or leave any taste? Anyone else use this for bottling, or know if it is best for rinse or no rinse? Thanks!

PBW must be rinsed for sure, it's a pretty nasty cleanser (though it works really well.) Star-san on the other hand, is a no-rinse sanitizer and it's the bee's knees of brewing chemicals.

I was hoping you would say no rinse, however thanks a lot for the quick response and info!

Just for clarification, PBW IS NOT a sanitizer in any way, shape, matter or form. Neither is Star-San a cleaner. PBW is used with hot water to remove organic soils and absolutely must be rinsed as with any cleanser or soap. Star-San mixed in the proper proportions is a very effective no-rinse sanitizer, but it can only be used on items that have been thoroughly cleaned.

Just to reiterate, you are talking about two different products from Five Star.
PBW is a cleanser and must be rinsed thoroughly.
Star San is a sanitizer that does not need to be rinsed.

Back