Protecting my wood!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdk261

Reaction score
So, yes, this may turn into another wooden single tier build thread...but for right now I thought I would share something I think will protect the wood from my burners...face brick, aka brick veneer.

I have seen many builds using metal flashing, durarock, and sometimes nothing...but it came to me last night, so I called the brick yard this morning and was told that even a typical 3/4" brick veneer will keep its integrity up to 2000 degrees, so it should certainly handle my burners. Admittedly I also just thought it might look cool.

I picked up a few samples this afternoon, so once I determine how many I need and I actually get them/adhere them, I'll post pics.

If you needed something that could withstand high temperatures you could wrap it in aluminum foil. But you need to make sure that heat doesn't transfer to the wood. Whatever you are veneering on wont matter if the wood underneath is smoldering and you cant see it. If it is a very effective insulator then that is a different story, but I cannot recommend a process. I haven't built a brewstand so I will leave this to the pros who have.

Normal red brick will not protect your wood. Yes, it can stand very high temperatures, but it's not that much of an insulator (at least at that thickness). For that purpose you'd need to use refractory bricks.

Just for the record, I haven't built a brewstand either, but I have dealt with a few brick ovens in the past. Through 6" thick brick wall, when an oven is at a 400-450*C temperature, you can barely lay your hands on it.

Those thoughts have entered my head...but I think I'll be ok as I have about 8" of air space between my burners and wood in addition to the brick. Not to mention I can't imagine the radiant heat from the burners (I don't have insane jet burners) reaching over 600 degrees. I suppose only time will tell. I'll be sure to close the loop with the results.

Sounds good, but, what are you using to hold the bricks?
If you're making some kind of a metal structure for them, you should be ok.

Latest posts

Back