mashed too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdupree

Reaction score
Brewed a 5gal batch of milk chocolate stout. I thought i mashed at around 152 but found out my thermometer needs calibrating and mashed at about 162. i'm not sure how much unfermentable sugar is in it now. It was the AG kit from austin homebrew and I can't remember the recipe exactly but the website says 10lb base grains, 3.13 lb specialty grains 1lb lactose. The SG is stuck at 1.042 and i'm not sure how low i'm going to get. OG was 1.082 Pitched Danstar windsor. That should bring me down to about 5%abv or so. Did the lactose really make that big of a deal, my mash temp, or both? I've been in the primary for a month.

What temp are you fermenting at?
I would think even if you mashed at 162 you should get down below 1.042. Maybe try and make a good starter and rerack then pitch again?

fermenting at about 70 degrees F. I just stir it real vigorously to aerate. i made a starter and repitched with danstar nottingham today. I'm just not sure if there is anything left for the yeast to eat.

Latest posts

Back