The Oxyclean Free Appreciation Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerFingers

Reaction score
So Saturday I racked an ESB to a secondary and made a 5 gallon batch of stout. I took the yeast from the 6 Gallon Better Bottle (the first time using one BTW) that had the ESB and just left it for cleanup later. Well I had about 30 minutes left in my 90 min boil so I rinsed the new 6 Gallon Better Bottle I purchased the previous day. I filled it full of starsan and turned it upside down--only to find out it was leaking! When I went to the brewshop the previous day I asked for an unported BB and somehow got a ported one by mistake--crap! So no more fermenters and I am working nearing the end of my boil. What did I do?

I heard so many good stories about Oxyclean Free so I grabbed the gunky 6 gallon BB, put some Oxyclean Free in it and filled it full of hot water and let it soak. I had a perfectly clean carboy with about 10 minutes to spare! This stuff is awesome! Even using it to soak labels off some bottles right now!

Thank you Oxyclean Free for saving my brewday!

I don't have the link handy, it might be found on better-bottle's website. There is a very good article on how to effectively clean a better-bottle and what each common cleaner will do after long term exposure. Definitely avoid stronger solutions and water over 120*F. They recommend Seventh Generation Free & Clear 2X. It's what I use and it is very effective.

Oxyclean Free is the sheet. Try it in your pre-wash compartment in your dishwasher (along with a regular dishwasher packet in the packet spot). No prewashing needed. I don't know how I would do it if they stopped selling it.

Back