First visible infection. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyjerky214

Reaction score
IMG_5387.jpg

Just went downstairs to keg a few beers and saw this. I brewed this back in December, and as of two weeks ago when I checked on it, that wasn't there. I've never had an infection before so I have no idea what it is, how it happened, or if there's anything I can do to save the beer. What should my next step be? Should I try to siphon around it and leave it in the fermentor? Should I just dump it and be done?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yep that does NOT look good.

If it grows, then you might as well help it. Buy some sour beers and dump the dregs in there, or buy Wyeast Roeselare blend and pitch. Maybe add some oak or cherries.

Check this out:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/

If you don't want to dedicate that carboy for the next 9 months to a sour beer, then dumping might be in your future.

Get a wine thief and taste it. Also, leave it in there and see what happens. It will either taste terrible or be good. Nothing you can do about it now. I agree add some other bugs and some fruit and let it get really funky. Just dont waste a whole bunch of money/time on it if it tastes nasty.

Get a wine thief and taste it. Also, leave it in there and see what happens. It will either taste terrible or be good. Nothing you can do about it now. I agree add some other bugs and some fruit and let it get really funky. Just dont waste a whole bunch of money/time on it if it tastes nasty.

The beer itself looks fine hell what's a little penicillin probably cure your strep. I say rack it avoid that thing and leave 1/2 gallon in there. Then taste. You may want to dry hop what's the worst that could happen? Toss in some leaf...

Back