Build-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wparks

Reaction score
New Home Brewer here and this is my 3rd batch of homebrew. My question is that each time I have filtered and bottled, I keep getting some kind of build-up at the bottom of my bottles, not floaties. I have filtered this very well before bottling yet I still keep getting this slimy stuff on the bottom.
a) is it normal or am I doing something wrong? (I have followed instructions well)
b) what is it and what is it a result of?
Thanks for any help I get!

I should add that I do not see this when I bottle it, rather after the 21 days of sitting in the dark.

OK. Disclaimer here: I've yet to bottle my first brew.

I've heard that you can put it in a secondary fermenter with Knox gelatin and reduce a lot of that. (It's 2t gelatin in a cup of water for about 1/2 hour, then heat to 180 degrees, (I would let it cool), then add to fermenter for 3 days to let it settle before bottling.)

So this brings a question: Is it OK to do this at the same time as adding priming sugar?

Any way to prevent it?
It is a Brewers Best kit that I was using.

If you make flat beer, you won't have any yeast sediment! That's the only way beside kegging it.

The yeast sediment is the yeast that flocculates out after eating the priming sugar. It eats the sugar, and puts out co2 as a result, which is what carbonates your beer. Many craft breweries even do this- and you'll notice some live yeast at the bottom of many beers. You can even culture the yeast from the bottom of the bottles.

You have a filtering setup, which I assume you push with co2, so why don't you keg the beer and then use a beer gun to bottle the carbonated beer? That's the easiest way to make the bottles sediment free.

Back