Random cheese notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
Today I made a 3 gallon swiss that I have made 2 times before and it always comes out really good. I also opened the first cheese I ever made it was a 1 gallon Parmesan aged 14 months. It was wonderful, the rind is to be avoided it tastes like mold but the cheese is the best hard cheese I have had. Really happy with it.

Nice. I want to get into making cheese. 14 months is an eternity, though, and all my favourites are aged or moldy or what have you. The kind that takes time.

I picked up a couple gallons of whole milk today, might try my first batch in the next day or tow. I think its going to be a farmhouse cheddar.

Tbh, I used to think cheese prices were outrageous. That was until I started into it, and realized not only the ingredient cost, but the time, effort and TLC that go into making a great cheese.

I so want to get back into it. Just finished off some Salami's so maybe...but I gotta brew some Lagers...that is if the weather cooperates.

There is a lot of time involved. In fact before I got this cheese press I have now I used another cheaper press that was just a tube and a clamp. It made 1 or 2 cheeses but then the support got bent and the curds were never setting. But it took so much work to find out if it worked I got really frustrated. Not worth the wasted time for the cheap press.

I am down to only 2 ripe cheeses left in my "cheseerator" a gouda and a jack.

Back