Any use for trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbama

Reaction score
Are there any uses for the sediments after a boil or fermentation?

I don't really think for after boil, but after fermentation you can look up yeast washing.

Are there any uses for the sediments after a boil or fermentation?

Funny you should ask this. I was just listening to a podcast from The Brewing Network, and they asked Shawn Paxton (homebrewchef.com) about other uses for the spent grains, yeast and hops, and other than "spent grain bread" which basically adds just fiber if you've mashed efficiently, he had nothin'. I give my spent grains to a friend who has pigs, and I think you could harvest some yeast to make a sourdough starter, but I think the rest is pretty much compost. :(

If you're really cheap, you can throw the dry hop from the previous batch into the boil of the next to get some bittering out of it...

I too would use it for the compost pile. Before doing that I also would save a cup or two, and wash the yeast for my next batch. Hey, 8 bucks is 8 bucks.

Funny you should ask this. I was just listening to a podcast from The Brewing Network, and they asked Shawn Paxton (homebrewchef.com) about other uses for the spent grains, yeast and hops, and other than "spent grain bread" which basically adds just fiber if you've mashed efficiently, he had nothin'. I give my spent grains to a friend who has pigs, and I think you could harvest some yeast to make a sourdough starter, but I think the rest is pretty much compost. :(

For the trub, besides rinsing it, or racking another beer on top, the only other use I've heard of is to use the slurry to make some bread.

As for spent grain, I've made dog biscuits before. Here's an example recipe:
http://www.17apart.com/2013/07/how-to-make-spent-beer-grain-dog-treats.html

As it turns out, my dog has a grain sensitivity, so I can't do that anymore :-(
I think I've heard of someone who makes the dog treats, and sells them to pet shops.

I have an interesting use for spent grain!

I dehydrate and dry the spent grain on a pallet and window screens in my back yard. When the grain is dry, add it to a garden and rake it into the surface. The grain will accomplish a few pretty amazing things:

It has vitamins and can act as a fertilizer but more importantly it is a completely natural herbicide (weed killer). The grain decomposes into the soil and promotes the growth of many healthy microorganisms. These microorganisms will eat away at most weeds. I have been adding grain to my garden all year and we have not had any weed issues. I learned this science from a book called: Alcohol Can be a Gas by David Blume. He does this with distillers grains but it works the same way.

I pour the trub from my fermenters down the drain. Having a septic system, the yeast helps to break down the solids in the septic system.

I have an interesting use for spent grain!

I dehydrate and dry the spent grain on a pallet and window screens in my back yard. When the grain is dry, add it to a garden and rake it into the surface. The grain will accomplish a few pretty amazing things:

It has vitamins and can act as a fertilizer but more importantly it is a completely natural herbicide (weed killer). The grain decomposes into the soil and promotes the growth of many healthy microorganisms. These microorganisms will eat away at most weeds. I have been adding grain to my garden all year and we have not had any weed issues. I learned this science from a book called: Alcohol Can be a Gas by David Blume. He does this with distillers grains but it works the same way.

why dry it? Couldn't you just add it wet if it is going to get wet again and decompose anyway?

why dry it? Couldn't you just add it wet if it is going to get wet again and decompose anyway?

Most of the time I just throw it in damp but I end up drying a bunch so I can store it without having a mold farm in my basement. I generate too much grain to use in my 4'x8' garden bed.

I made Marmite with a yeast cake once. The result was interesting to say the least.

I used to dry my spent grain but now find that it last quite a while wet when kept in the fridge. I make bread every other day with it with great results. Even better is as the grain gets older it starts to sour which gives a AWESOME flavour to the bread.

I did not know this but my spent grain has been handed off to a guy who makes dog treats, feeds it to chickens, and does something else with it. My next brew will be turned into doggie treats.

I use it to make bread. It makes some pretty good stuff... unless you dry hop... then it is waaay too bitter.

If you're really cheap, you can throw the dry hop from the previous batch into the boil of the next to get some bittering out of it...

Really? What percentage of "some" do you mean? And some dry hops aren't good bittering hops. Can you explain.

WissaBrewGuy said:
I have an interesting use for spent grain! I dehydrate and dry the spent grain on a pallet and window screens in my back yard. When the grain is dry, add it to a garden and rake it into the surface. The grain will accomplish a few pretty amazing things: It has vitamins and can act as a fertilizer but more importantly it is a completely natural herbicide (weed killer). The grain decomposes into the soil and promotes the growth of many healthy microorganisms. These microorganisms will eat away at most weeds. I have been adding grain to my garden all year and we have not had any weed issues.

Similarly, I recall my botany professor telling us that hops can be used in flower beds and gardens as a natural bug repellent. I mixed it in all my gardens this year and got amazing results. For some reason, the slugs REALLY did not like it.

Similarly, I recall my botany professor telling us that hops can be used in flower beds and gardens as a natural bug repellent. I mixed it in all my gardens this year and got amazing results. For some reason, the slugs REALLY did not like it.

Pellets or whole leaf? If I could use spent hop pellets instead of Sluggo to protect my dahlias, I would be a happy man!

Pellets.
Either would work, all I do is use the gunk in my strainer and bottom of kettle afterwards. Usually around a cup or so and then just dump it and trowel into the soil.
Again, it could b effective with only certain critters, but the slugs avoided it for sure!

Pellets.
Either would work, all I do is use the gunk in my strainer and bottom of kettle afterwards. Usually around a cup or so and then just dump it and trowel into the soil.
Again, it could b effective with only certain critters, but the slugs avoided it for sure!

Oh hell yeah! Have you priced Sluggo? I'll happily toss on hop sludge if it will keep the slugs off!!

seph said:
I pour the trub from my fermenters down the drain. Having a septic system, the yeast helps to break down the solids in the septic system.

Are you sure about this? I've actually read the opposite. High Biological Oxygen Demand makes yeast really bad for the septic system.

Back