Opinions on this pot please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Blickmann is 0.0478 or 18Ga
This is 0.0394 thick or almost 19Ga

I would think this would be OK, I am thinking about picking one up but I am in the same boat as you are.

I bought one so we will see how well it worked. It was cheaper then any other equivalent SS pot then I could find. If not it's only money right. shhhhh don't tell SWMBO or I will be drowning in shoes.

Thanks, but I am not totally sold on al. pots yet.

What is everyone smoking! Get a keg of beer. Drink it. Then cut top off of it. $100 but you got drunk doing it.

Keggles work great, even for 5 gallons.

Not bad for bayou pot, but it's only 20 guage. Isn't this alittle thin?

I bought that very same pot when I first started brewing. It is heavy duty enough for your needs and will work just fine. The only complaint I have with it is it's brushed stainless steel which makes clean up a little harder

Oh. Well the brewery that owns it is a victim of their retailer in my case. All of mine were kegs I bought and lost the receipt and the lazy ass that works there does not return deposit without receipt. I suppose I could go to a larger liquor store and try to swap for merchandise, but I needed a pot... Believe me, I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same thing had it been otherwise, but what else should I have done with them?

Also, my behavior helps the plastic keg manufacturers of the world. Without "shrinkage" they would not have stood a chance. :mug:

What about just using a corny keg and dropping a 4500 watt immersion heater in through the top with the wires siliconed nicely. Yank it out, put a lid on it and hit it with some CO2, blow the trub out the tube, open lid and pitch. Your talking maybe $40, you have eliminated the need for a chiller, boil pot, and a cooker? Just an idea. If you get a bigger corny even better, otherwise use some foam control and have an overflow container. If dip tube or poppet becomes clogged, relieve pressure, unscrew valve and gas it without valve with a hand deflecting the junk.

BTW, for anyone that doubts the price... $23 will get you a SS water heater heater, $12 for a 3 wire 30 amp dryer pigtail, $5 for aquarium sealer.

To cool just throw keg in swiming hole or dig a hole and line with vinyl and just overflow with water continously. This was my first electric brewery. It worked great until I got a dryer. Then I needed to extend wire and switched to doing 10 gallon batches in my morally depraved 316L 18 ga pots :ban:

Also, my behavior helps the plastic keg manufacturers of the world. Without "shrinkage" they would not have stood a chance. :mug:

Or by your standards he could drive to Toledo, throw a brick through a window and steal a brew magic system. This would solve his pot, burner, and pump needs.:rolleyes:

Or by your standards he could drive to Toledo, throw a brick through a window and steal a brew magic system. This would solve his pot, burner, and pump needs.:rolleyes:

But he would still need propane and they keep that locked up at Wal-Mart :rockin:

I'll make you a deal. Next commercial keg I get, when the ass sweat turns all my receipts to a giant unrecognizable blob reminiscent of a spit ball and I throw them away, you can tell me who will return my $30 for the keg. Maybe Miller would send me a check for $30 and a postage paid mailer or have a distributor pick it up from my front yard. For now, I'll continue to find uses such as a coffee table (my neighbors just built a house so free roof sheathing), lamp shades (cut in half and a lamp socket in place of the spear), a gas tank for my pick-up, and a "love wedge" for my overweight booty call. If you want to do the right thing and come pay me $30 and take keg back to the brewery I'll think about it. Until then, I'll enjoy them... I wander if I could cut one lengthwise and have a urinal like at the baseball park?

Seriously, the OP asked a question about a pot that costs nearly three times the deposit of a keg, is thinner, and too small. I just gave an option that many home-brewers do in fact use. Sure, if I shat a grand and a half in nickels out of my ass, I would have built a half-barralel system with fancy pots. How can you even care about a $170 theft from an irresponsible company (what other business would expect a $250 item back for a $30 deposit) with the amount that the government steals from its citizens?

The same could be said about those who copy CDs and movies. Also, while he was at Sabco, he should also grab a chill wizard to handle his cooling needs. Just down the road is Toledo Metal Spinning, if he would be so kind as to get me some parts for the conicals?

But he would still need propane and they keep that locked up at Wal-Mart :rockin:

I'll make you a deal. Next commercial keg I get, when the ass sweat turns all my receipts to a giant unrecognizable blob reminiscent of a spit ball and I throw them away, you can tell me who will return my $30 for the keg. The Hajji apparently had his turban wrapped too tight and wouldn't give me back my money. Maybe Miller would send me a check for $30 and a postage paid mailer or have a distributor pick it up from my front yard. For now, I'll continue to find uses such as a coffee table (my neighbors just built a house so free roof sheathing), lamp shades (cut in half and a lamp socket in place of the spear), a gas tank for my pick-up, and a "love wedge" for my overweight booty call. If you want to do the right thing and come pay me $30 and take keg back to the brewery I'll think about it. Until then, I'll enjoy them... I wander if I could cut one lengthwise and have a urinal like at the baseball park?

Seriously, the OP asked a question about a pot that costs nearly three times the deposit of a keg, is thinner, and too small. I just gave an option that many home-brewers do in fact use. Sure, if I shat a grand and a half in nickels out of my ass, I would have built a half-barralel system with fancy pots. How can you even care about a $170 theft from an irresponsible company (what other business would expect a $250 item back for a $30 deposit) with the amount that the government steals from its citizens?

I believe you've shown your ass enough in this thread. It's nobody's fault you can't hang on to a keg receipt.

LOL. That is awesome!

I called the local liquor store and asked if they sell kegs and without hesitation the guy said sure, $30.00! I asked him the legality of it and he said the store pays $30 deposit to the distributor and as long as they get the $30.00 there is no theft. Thats why the store pays the distributor the $30.00 to cover if the keg doesn't make it back. Makes sense to me.

LOL. That is awesome!

I called the local liquor store and asked if they sell kegs and without hesitation the guy said sure, $30.00! I asked him the legality of it and he said the store pays $30 deposit to the distributor and as long as they get the $30.00 there is no theft. Thats why the store pays the distributor the $30.00 to cover if the keg doesn't make it back. Makes sense to me.

Awesome. It's legal!!! I can't wait to start welding on a new lawn ornament.

BUT! BUT! BUT!
I'd have to choke down a keg of Domestic SWILL (and pay for it) to get the keg in the first place! Don't think I could stand the taste or the hang-overs! LOL! and only my redneck buddies drink that Sheizen!

Like this option:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=2321

just need burner... got a line on one cheap. (craigs list)

According to wildwest450, you could just go behind any restaurant or bar with a pick-up.

LOL. That is awesome!

Wrong, plain and simple. Go to the pro brewers site and read up on keg theft. The distributors could care less because they charge you what their charged for a deposit. The brewery's are paying $70 to $100 for their kegs. So you are stealing no matter what excuse you give. And your stealing from people who make beer, not the idiot store owner, shame.:( Not that im an angel, but who steals from brewers? You guys probably kick puppies and push old people over too.

Oh. Well the brewery that owns it is a victim of their retailer in my case. All of mine were kegs I bought and lost the receipt and the lazy ass that works there does not return deposit without receipt. I suppose I could go to a larger liquor store and try to swap for merchandise, but I needed a pot... Believe me, I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same thing had it been otherwise, but what else should I have done with them?

well in the post that I first responded to you told the OP just go get a keg and keep it .... Intent to steal just plain wrong

LOL. That is awesome!

The retailer does not own the keg . The 30$ deposit is just like locks on a house its only useful with honest people someone who is intent on stealing will just bust the door in. The keg is still stolen property the guy who told you otherwise is an asshat

If you want to take legal advice from a liquor store owner, I'd suggest first checking to see what law school he graduated from at a minimum, and if he passed the bar exam...

well in the post that I first responded to you told the OP just go get a keg and keep it .... Intent to steal just plain wrong

I'm not saying that I'm an angel and didn't do that for other kegs. I decided to make my first keggle when I got stuck with a hunk of stainless and figured, what did I have to loose. Busted out the recip saw one drunken night... I'm just pointing out that the whole keg deposit system and all is BS. Why not in an age of credit cards have a deposit cover replacement? If the deposits were really to cover a possible loss, companies that sold legal kegs in single or small quantities might have buyers...

Just some info... my local beer store charges a $50 deposit and gives you 30 days to return the keg. He told me if I brought the keg back after 30 days he wouldn't take it!

With that said... I've never had a keg longer than a weekend, so I've always got my deposit back!

I'm not saying that I'm an angel and didn't do that for other kegs. I decided to make my first keggle when I got stuck with a hunk of stainless and figured, what did I have to loose. Busted out the recip saw one drunken night... I'm just pointing out that the whole keg deposit system and all is BS. Why not in an age of credit cards have a deposit cover replacement? If the deposits were really to cover a possible loss, companies that sold legal kegs in single or small quantities might have buyers...

75$ here cash only . And a new Schaefer keg is 135$ so its a fair deposit .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back