Mistake on first batch. Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjorgensen

Reaction score
I just transfered my first white wine into its second secondary fermentor. It seemed like it was going to be very good. I wanted to add just a little priming sugar; just a teaspoon in 5 gallons. I saw some new bubbling action.

And then I looked down, and realised that I had put a teaspoon of One-Step No-Rinse Cleaner into my wine. AARRRRGGGG....

WHAT HAVE I DONE!

Is it a lost cause?

Thanks in advance,

Spence

I just transfered my first white wine into its second secondary fermentor. It seemed like it was going to be very good. I wanted to add just a little priming sugar; just a teaspoon in 5 gallons. I saw some new bubbling action.

And then I looked down, and realised that I had put a teaspoon of One-Step No-Rinse Cleaner into my wine. AARRRRGGGG....

WHAT HAVE I DONE!

Is it a lost cause?

Thanks in advance,

Spence

Well, a teaspoon of one-step won't kill anyone. Maybe you can't even taste it. Let it sit for a while, and the peroxide-y part of it may disapate.

Secondly, why would you put a teaspoon of priming sugar in it anyway? Leave it alone already! :D

Well, you are right. Everything was going fine. I only thought that I would see if there would be some fermentation activity if I added a little sugar. The wine was already so drinkable and not sweet and not dry. I shouldn't have done anything. I may have screwed up a wonderful batch. Thanks for your encouraging words. I'll just let it sit. It has only been about three weeks. I might have a pectin haze, but other than that everything was going very well until this screw up.

Thanks again,

Spence

Back