Acidulated Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Why use Acidulated Malt, as opposed to just adding a small amount of Lactic Acid? Isn't Acidulated Malt just regular malt, that has been sprayed with Lactic Acid? If so, why pay an extra $5 per pound, when I can buy a bottle of Lactic acid, that will last much longer?

Is there something I am overlooking?

Reinheitsgebot maybe? I believe acidulated malt uses the naturally occuring lactic bacteria in the malt.

I use it bc my water is very alkaline, so when I'm brewing a lighter colored beer, it lowers the mash pH. Also, it adds a little flavor depth/complexity that u won't get with straight-up acid addition.

Also, it adds a little flavor depth/complexity that u won't get with straight-up acid addition.

Is that really true? Has anyone experimented with this?

If the manufacturer just sprays it with Lactic acid, it sounds the same as if I spray base malt with lactic acid.

It doesn't sound "natural" to me.
And Reinheitsgebot is no longer a valid reason to do (or not to do) something.

ArcLight said:
Why use Acidulated Malt, as opposed to just adding a small amount of Lactic Acid? Isn't Acidulated Malt just regular malt, that has been sprayed with Lactic Acid? If so, why pay an extra $5 per pound, when I can buy a bottle of Lactic acid, that will last much longer?

An extra $5 a pound?!?! Wow. At my LHBS, all malt is the same flat price, so I use acidulated malt because it costs me no more than 50 cents per batch (when I use it) and it's doesn't involve any additional steps.

I'm going to throw out a WAG, that it was just easier to measure and a reliable source.

Have you had your water tested?

You pay a $5 premium for aciduated? I pay $2.40 a pound for it and only 2 or 3 ounces in a 5 gallon batch. I find it an easy way to adjust my ph in my light colored beers.

Easier to measure 0.5lbs of acidulated malt accurately than 0.1ml 88% lactic acid, and $1.49/lb at my LHBS.

This. It's a pain to measure out tiny quantities of lactic acid. And it sounds like you need a better source for grains. $5 extra per pound is outrageous.

This. It's a pain to measure out tiny quantities of lactic acid. And it sounds like you need a better source for grains. $5 extra per pound is outrageous.

A 1cc or insulin syringe is easy to come by at the pharmacy. Its available without a prescription. I use this size when I measure lactic acid for water adjustment.

Far cheaper than acid malt.

Have you had your water tested?

Yes, a while back I posted the results of my water under something like "Ward Labs results for Millburn New Jersey". I also have the reports for New York City tap water which I also use.

I looked up the price again and I was mistaken, it's $2.29 for 1 lb from Midwest, and $1.99 from Northern Brewer. And $2/65 from Austin Homebrew. Maybe I misread the $5, sorry for posting an incorrect number ($5).

Back