skeeter pee questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
I tried to find what I was looking for but failed.

I have a 5 gallon glass carboy that I am not sure I will be using for beer.
I am very new to brewing and have never made wine before.

Would it be feasible for me to make a 5 gallon batch of skeeter pee in my 5 gallon carboy? Would there be any headspace issues? Does skeeter pee create foam or require a blow off tube?

The stuff sounds good and id like to get a batch going but all of my primary fermentation vessels are in use.

I also watched a video where a starter was made using the umm skeeter juice.
Is that what is still advised? Will there be any need to rack this from primary before I bottle it?

Thanks

Would it be feasible for me to make a 5 gallon batch of skeeter pee in my 5 gallon carboy? Would there be any headspace issues? Does skeeter pee create foam or require a blow off tube?

The stuff sounds good and id like to get a batch going but all of my primary fermentation vessels are in use.

Is that what is still advised? Will there be any need to rack this from primary before I bottle it?

Thanks

It's better to use a bucket or a larger carboy. When you go to degas it, it will foam quite a bit. Plus, for the first few steps you want the bucket to allow some air exchange to help get rid of the preservatives. I'd just get an extra bucket cheap.

You can read the link in my sig, but basically I just made a small starter by first rehydrating the yeast, then adding some sugar. Then I slowly ladled in must over the course of the day until I built up a good sized starter. Then pitch that.

It's better to use a bucket or a larger carboy. When you go to degas it, it will foam quite a bit. Plus, for the first few steps you want the bucket to allow some air exchange to help get rid of the preservatives. I'd just get an extra bucket cheap.

You can read the link in my sig, but basically I just made a small starter by first rehydrating the yeast, then adding some sugar. Then I slowly ladled in must over the course of the day until I built up a good sized starter. Then pitch that.

i have an 7 gallon ale pail, so i guess i can use that or put it in my next available full size carboy. What does degass mean?
How much volume of starter did you end up with before you pitched?
is "must" like wort but wine?

i have an 7 gallon ale pail, so i guess i can use that or put it in my next available full size carboy. What does degass mean?
How much volume of starter did you end up with before you pitched?
is "must" like wort but wine?

I would use the bucket.
If you look at the skeeter pee instructions, there are steps where you degas, which is to knock the CO2 out of solution to help speed the clearing of the wine. Some people skip that step but it's really easy. I just used a broken piece of plastic hangar and a drill like this:

Degassing%2520wand.jpg

I think I built mine up until it was at least a quart. The more the better.

Yeah, must is just the unfermented juice, like wort for beer.

Thanks

It foams up like a bugger, best start in a pail.

Back