How much left in trub during bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweface

Reaction score
Ok so I know the first responce to this is going to be get a bottling bucket or try a secondary fermentation stage but...

Last night I bottled a kit ale from the primary carboy into ~50 bottles and then instead of bottling the last 5-8 L I filled a 5 L demijohn with the more cloudy ends of the ale, leaving only about an inch of trub in the bottom. My hope is that in a week that last gallon will settle out again and I can bottle that, leaving me with ~65 bottles of nice clear ale instead of 50 or so clear ones and 15 or so with alot of sediment in them...

Comments?

They are all going to have sedement in the bottom of them, from bottle conditioning. One question, How did you mix the priming sugar in? or did you use carb tabs? If you primed the whole batch then leaving the beer sit in the demijohn will kick off fermentation again and you will have to re-prime the last gallon, not a big deal.

Oh yeah...............Get a bottling bucket! :D

Back