Cloudy Brew!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
I attached a pic of the porter we brewed over the past couple of weeks. It was in the fermenter for a week, then bottled. It's still a little young so carbonation isn't spot on, but it seems really cloudy; is this because I didn't let it clear up in the fermenter long enough??

image.jpg

Well, considering you only left it in the fermenter for a week, and I'm sure it hasn't been bottle conditioned for the minimum 3 weeks we suggest, and probably hasn't spent all that long in the fridge, I'm not surprised it's still cloudy.

The longer you leave a beer alone, the clearer it has an opportunity to get. That's why many of us leave our beers in primary for a month, and skip secondary, because our beer comes our crystal clear, with very little sediment.

Well, considering you only left it in the fermenter for a week, and I'm sure it hasn't been bottle conditioned for the minimum 3 weeks we suggest, and probably hasn't spent all that long in the fridge, I'm not surprised it's still cloudy.

The longer you leave a beer alone, the clearer it has an opportunity to get. That's why many of us leave our beers in primary for a month, and skip secondary, because our beer comes our crystal clear, with very little sediment.

I was about 98% sure time was the culprit but we were semi-experimenting how it would turn out in a shorter turn around as we are gearing up to start a nanobrewery, so looks like we need to figure in a longer time frame for a better product outcome. :drunk:

I find that any recipe that has Chocolate malt or Carafa needs at least 2 months to clear and harsh flavors to mellow out and blend. There is just no short cuts. 2-3 weeks its just plain and simple too fast for good dark beer.

I find that any recipe that has Chocolate malt or Carafa needs at least 2 months to clear and harsh flavors to mellow out and blend. There is just no short cuts. 2-3 weeks its just plain and simple too fast for good dark beer.

Yeah, my porters and stouts tend to need 6-8 weeks in the bottle alone to reach their peak, and that's after the month in primary.

Latest posts

Back