Best bags for curing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skills0

Reaction score
I've done a few rounds of curing bacon and like to use the large ziploc bags (2.5 gallon). However, the Hefty jumbo Slider Bags are crap. Half the time the zipper doesn't even work the first time, which defeats the purpose. Anybody else having bad luck with these?

Obviously if you are going to use a bag you want a tight seal to keep all the curing liquid locked in and have an easy time overhauling the meat.

Anybody find other brands or suppliers with something better? Doesn't have to be a name brand you would find in a grocery store. Guess I could invest in some sort of plastic container if I could find the right size.

The hefty ones suck also. I found anyone with that contraption on the outside of the bag that slides instead of a normal bag does not work. Spices get caught in the seal and will not seal properly.

One thing I do is use rubber bands and put the belly in sideways near the bottom of the one gallon bags. Then always place the opened end on top so you will have less leaks. When you turn the belly turn it in the bag then replace rubber band. You can stack slabs on top of each other then.

Ziploc also makes a rectangular plastic container that holds a slab of bacon almost perfectly.

I've just been using the wider foodsaver bags. Allow me to seal it up securely and keep the cure in close contact with the meat.

The foodsaver bags work! I found it cures faster, possibly because the close relation of the liquid in those bags, so you need to watch it carefully!

The foodsaver bags work! I found it cures faster, possibly because the close relation of the liquid in those bags, so you need to watch it carefully!

After a couple days I slice open a corner of the bag and drain off any accumulated liquid and re-seal it.

I've done a few rounds of curing bacon and like to use the large ziploc bags (2.5 gallon). However, the Hefty jumbo Slider Bags are crap. Half the time the zipper doesn't even work the first time, which defeats the purpose. Anybody else having bad luck with these?

Obviously if you are going to use a bag you want a tight seal to keep all the curing liquid locked in and have an easy time overhauling the meat.

Anybody find other brands or suppliers with something better? Doesn't have to be a name brand you would find in a grocery store. Guess I could invest in some sort of plastic container if I could find the right size.

Yeah, took me 2 hours to clean out every nook and cranny of my fridge after one of those bags let all my bacon cure ooze out, even though the bag was sitting in a shallow tray, I stupidly had the zipper part hanging over the lip evidently, and it managed to seep out, onto the shelf it was on, the down the back wall to coagulate and congeal under the crisper drawers. :mad:

Thanks for all the ideas guys. For some reason I didn't get notified when people responded, probably have my profile set up wrong or something.

I'm thinking about just getting some Lexan containers, but I've also been eyeing some sort of Foodsaver anyway since I also need a way to store the finished product in the freezer without freezer burn and such.

Back