Are there any beer styles you wouldnt cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I was surprised not to get a hit when I searched this!

For those of you that do cold crash, are there any styles that you wouldnt? Are there beers that wouldnt benefit from cold crashing? Maybe a yeast intensive beer like a hefe?

Was thinking along those lines too. I have a Saison that I am not sure about crashing. My first one :)

I like my Belgian and wheat beers hazy, so I don't cold crash those. I have a Saison that pours clear after the bottles have been sitting in the fridge for some time. It just doesn't look right to me, so I swirl that last bit of beer in the bottle and pour it out with the yeast. Stouts I don't care to cold crash either. They're dark enough and have so much malt character, I don't find it is worth the effort.

I figure everything is cold crashed when I put it in my keezer, so I see no problem cold-crashing it before I move it from primary to keg. And for a hefe, even after a day or two of cold-crashing, there's still plenty of yeast and protein in suspension.

However, the styles that most of you mention for not cold-crashing, I choose not to use gelatin for those.

Good point about no gelatin. I don't use Irish moss for these styles and I sometime no-chill them once the boil is over. I let them cool to pitching temperatures on their own. I use a hop bag so I can pull the hops out after the boil, so they don't keep bittering and flavoring while the wort cools.

I do not bother cold crashing if I am making a fruit beer or adding oak and the beer will sit in secondary for a while. I figure the extra time aging off of the trub will take care of it for me.

From reading "Brew Like a Monk" by Stan Hieronymus I learned that all of the Trappist breweries lager their beers for extended periods of time for 3-6 weeks @ anywhere between 31F-50F. I was definitely surprised by this but I guess it helps with stability maybe? He never explains that in the book.

Latest posts

Back