Help with a Cider Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I'm trying to go for a lighter, sweeter kind of cider (this is probably heading into the cyser range) and here is the recipe I found:
5 gallons unp. cider
2 pounds of light brown sugar
2 pounds of honey

1 or 2 packages of champagne yeast

for bottling:
1/2 pound lactose
3/4 cup corn sugar

When bottling do I just put the lactose and the corn sugar into the bottling bucket or do I need to dissolve it first? If I need to dissolve it first, how much water should I use?

Don't over think it. Really, you don't need a recipe for cider, unless you want to talk what percentages of different types of apples to press.

Also, if you want it to end up sweeter, skip all of the extra sugar. All it does is drive the ABV up and dry it out even more. Lactose will help, but its really not that sweet. IMO, the best way to get bottle conditioned sweet cider is through the Stovetop Pasteurization method. Bottle when it gets down to the sweetness level you want. Check the bottles every few days. When they are carbonated to your liking, pasteurize.

Also, look at using an ale yeast. Don't make a starter either. I find I get much more control when I pitch a vial or smack pack directly into the must with no nutrient. The ferment goes a little slower and gives you more time to stop it where you want.

Back