Coffee Stout input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
Style: American Stout
Batch size: 5.25 gal
Yeast: S-05
OG: 1.061
IBU: 50.3
SRM: 36.5

Grains:
8.50 lb 2-row
2.00 lb Vienna malt
1.00 lb Roasted barley
0.50 lb Crystal 60*L

Hops:
1.00 oz Bravo [14.2%] - 60 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.5%] - 10 min
1.00 oz Willamette [5.0%] - 0 min

Misc:
8.00 oz Kaldi's Espresso 700 cold brewed added @ bottling (same coffee that Schlafly uses in their coffee stout)

Mash @ 154*F

I've brewed a recipe pretty similar to the one listed before and really liked how it turned out, but I was just wondering if I should still stick to the same hopping schedule since I am adding the coffee.

I was also thinking of adding some flaked barley, maybe 1/2 - 1 lb. Not sure on that though.

I do love my coffee, I usually drink Starbucks' French Roast in the morning, which I think is their darkest roast. I brewed up some of the Kaldi's coffee that I'm using in this recipe and it was nowhere near as bold, so that's why I was looking at 8 oz. I may bump it down to 6 oz. though, my Breakfast stout clone that I just bottled had 4 oz. total and it had a pretty distinct coffee flavor, not quite as much as I was looking for in this beer though. Only one way to find out I guess :mug:

Back