Mistakes may have been made (age, cold crash, toss?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
I haven't really discussed this project here, because I really didn't know how to feel about it.

On 11/3, I pitched a pound of brown sugar and a gallon of apple juice with two packets of bread yeast. Fermentation was vigorous, shall I say. Today (yes, five days later) fermentation has all but stopped (1 bubble/upwards of 80 seconds), and I tasted it. I think all of the sugar is gone! The taste is quite dry, almost entirely apples and carbon dioxide - like seltzer water.

I don't own a hydrometer, but I'm gonna ask a buddy to swing by with his. Meanwhile.. does anybody have experience with young cider? Is that anything like what it oughta be? I guess now that it's done in the primary I ought to siphon it off and age it, but I'm truthfully sort of scared that it's run its course and I'm wasting my time. What do you fellows think?

So if you see scrape marks on the bottom of the barrel.. thats me ;)

Soooo, what were the mistakes? Sounds like its all gone fine, just needs to be racked and left to clear. It will need some time to get its flavour back, don't panic yet!

Thank you, insomniac! I guess I was reliving my teen years for a moment - having tasted the cider, I was forced to wonder if things ever get better than they are now :)

Alright, to the rack she goes!

Back