Calculators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my own spreadsheet. Easy once you get some measurements on a few of your brews. Then it's yours

I made my own spreadsheet. Easy once you get some measurements on a few of your brews. Then it's yours

I did the same thing. I now have something more empirical, and it's based on my own equipment, procedures, etc.

There's really no accurate way to predict things like grain absorption, boil-off, etc. So many variables. The online calculators just get you a rough estimate. It's helpful for you to keep track of the numbers based on your own experiences and dial it in after a few batches.

It's helpful for you to keep track of the numbers based on your own experiences and dial it in after a few batches.

It is also helpful to track your volumes as you brew.

I pains me to read when someone has their head so buried in the software and then comes up 1 1/2 gallons short of batch size.

Monitor your volumes post sparge or bag removal, and during the boil, brew with a destination volume in mind. You can make minor adjustments along the way...sparge a little more, boil a little more / less...it's all about the destination:mug:

It is also helpful to track your volumes as you brew.

I pains me to read when someone has their head so buried in the software and then comes up 1 1/2 gallons short of batch size.

Monitor your volumes post sparge or bag removal, and during the boil, brew with a destination volume in mind. You can make minor adjustments along the way...sparge a little more, boil a little more / less...it's all about the destination:mug:

Hmmmm...didn't I just say that? ;) But you are correct, it is important to develop empirical data based on one's own experience, equipment, processes, etc. No s/w program is going to anticipate all the variables involved.

Back