Sludge at bottom of my bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somemofo

Reaction score
I am drinking the 10th bottle of my first batch of homebrew. I have been very pleased with it so far. I noticed a little bit of particles, etc.. in a few of the other bottles. Pretty much looked like hop particles. I wasn't alarmed. Seeing as how I never used any kind of filter or screen, it is not surprising to see some solids. But on this particular bottle, there is what appears to be (best I can tell while looking into an amber bottle) a thin layer of milky sludge at the bottom of the bottle. It is almost like the yeast that sits at the bottom of the primary. I was pretty careful to not transfer much, if any such substances to the secondary and again, while bottling.

Is this a sign of contamination or is this normal for homebrew to have such a substance at the bottom of some bottles?

I am drinking the 10th bottle of my first batch of homebrew. I have been very pleased with it so far. I noticed a little bit of particles, etc.. in a few of the other bottles. Pretty much looked like hop particles. I wasn't alarmed. Seeing as how I never used any kind of filter or screen, it is not surprising to see some solids. But on this particular bottle, there is what appears to be (best I can tell while looking into an amber bottle) a thin layer of milky sludge at the bottom of the bottle. It is almost like the yeast that sits at the bottom of the primary. I was pretty careful to not transfer much, if any such substances to the secondary and again, while bottling.

Is this a sign of contamination or is this normal for homebrew to have such a substance at the bottom of some bottles?

Nothing to worry about, it's trub that settled to the bottom of the bottle when you carbed it.

Completely normal, it's yeast that has fallen out of the beer and compacted on the bottom. All bottle conditioned beers will have it.

Thank you all for the prompt and reassuring answers!!! I suspected that was the case.

Just avoid drinking the yeast. Leave the trub in the bottle. It tastes a little funky and will give you some serious gas.;)

Oh yeah it will. Kind of dealing with that right now but if you drink the yeast I have found I do not get the hangovers the next day.

OP - yep, it's completely normal. Learn to do the homebrew pour - leave just the dregs in the bottle. Then, it's a total non issue.

LOL, I always leave the dregs in the bottle, drink a crystal clear couple of glasses of beer and then drink the yeasty dregs from the bottle:ban:. I've found that it definitely decreases the severity of my hangovers, although I think maybe the Belgian yeasts tend to lead to headaches for me.

I've always loved things like Kimchii, Natto, cheese, yoghurt, anything that's fermented as they're generally really good for your health.

Supposedly the strength of your immune system is mostly a result of the condition of your large intestine and, I believe, all of those things above, including yeast, are beneficial. Plus farting is fun:D:mug:

Point taken. Gas it is! :)

I tell you that during the night it seems like a wonderful idea but let me tell you coopers farts are no trifling thing to deal with. But no worries since my wife thinks it is all the mexican food I eat I am covered.

Just avoid drinking the yeast. Leave the trub in the bottle. It tastes a little funky and will give you some serious gas.;)

Oh man, you gotta watch the yeast, if you imbibe in too much it can hurt ya! It can cause you to worry about things you never thought you'd have to worry about. Plus hotboxing the wife in stench doesn't seem to endear her to homebrew. :eek:

Rick

Roflmao! Tossed the covers over her head once & let'er rip. She about sank the water bed trying to get away...kinda like the end of Wrath of Kahn. Nooo...you can't get away...from my butt I stabeth thee...:D
Anyway,the yeast also contains B vitamins that folks pay dearly for at the health food store. 1 bottle's worth should be good for a day's worth of b's,B complex I think it was. But chilling will compact this trub on the bottom of the bottles to where I can pour off all but a 1/4" or less before the trub creeps up to the shoulder of the bottle & I have to stop.

Latest posts

Back