Thermal paste between SSR and heat sink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tandor

Reaction score
I am about to install my second SSR as my first one died. When taking the old one off the heat sink I found that there was no thermal paste. How necessary is it? I found the heat sink got pretty hot when running. My system uses is a 2000w 120v element. My heat sink is on the outside of my control panel. Thanks.

if the heat sink was getting hot, you had good contact between it and the SSR, but there may still have been areas of the SSR body that were not in full contact (like a small airspce is possible), so the themal paste may still be a good idea.

Thermal paste will give you a complete thermal bond between the SSR and the heat sink. I happened to have some Arctic Silver 5 left over from a computer build so that is what I used. They have thermal paste at Radio Shack.

Thermal paste will give you a complete thermal bond between the SSR and the heat sink. I happened to have some Arctic 5 left over from a computer build so that is what I used. They have thermal paste at Radio Shack.

Same here, anyone who's built their own PC will probably have some thermal compound left over, I too used Arctic silver which usually would be overkill for an SSR

Thanks for the answers. I will be heading to Radio Shack to pick some up (alas all my computer stuff is in storage in another city. I am sure I have some leftover).

I used the cheapest stuff they had at radioshock for my current in progress build and on my previous build. It works fine on my current rig running 26 A through a 40 A SSR. If you're closer to the load current rating for your SSR it might be worth the extra $ to get the good stuff, but at that point you will see more benefit from going with larger heatsinks or forced air cooling.

Latest posts

Back