When are your ~7.0%abv IPAs at their peak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
I did my second IPA four weeks ago (my first good one) and now it really tastes great! When should I expect the hop flavor/aroma to start falling off? I plan on entering in a competition in May and I'm trying to time my next brew just right. thanks

I did a 7.2% 100+IBU All Amarillo IPA. I brewed it on Nov 12th, 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary with 2oz Amarillo, kegged and started tasting it every week. By New Year's Eve it was fantastic. It's the best beer I've made at this point, but there's only a few pints left :(

I had a 8.5% IIPA that was pretty good at first. 4 months later it was fantastic. Only had a few bottles left though. We'll see how this 10+% IIPA goes. Brewed it yesterday.

IMHO, IPA's are at their best @ the 6 - 8 week mark and IIPA's 8 - 12 weeks. Although, I did manage to snag a 1st place in Edworts HBT IPA Competition with an IPA that was 5 months old. So go figure? :confused:

My IPAs are best around 6-10 weeks. I would say May would be pushing it. Just brew up another batch at the end of March and you'll be good to go.

Latest posts

Back