pH addition tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank_McGee

Reaction score
Hi, so i do not know much of the sciences of water but am trying to learn, i have made up a recipe and figured that my tap water, i live in the rockies in colorado so i am trying to use just my local water this time, has a pH of 5.4/5.5 when not boiled or heated and strained through brita filter, but, when boiled it rises up to 6.5 to 7.0 pH, now i am wondering, should i add any gypsum to this to lower it down 1.3? or should i count on my grain bill to do enough of a job for that? for my grain bill i have...

11# 2 row
1# chocolate
3.5# munich
1.25# caramel 120
.5# caramel 60

Please let me know if i should put any additives in the water/ any tips concerning water and brewing.. I am looking to learn =) Thanks guys!

One needs to know the alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels in the water to be able to give you any kind of idea. The actual pH is relatively unimportant.

The only information i could get out of my local water department is that the hardness averages medium hard around 80 mg/L and the alkalinity averages 66-75 mg/L. they dont actually record the calcium and magnesium there.

The simplest solution is cut it 1:1 or 2:1 with RO water and add some CaCl2 and sauermalz. See the Primer for this. There are dozens of more elaborate approaches.

You might consider one (or several) of the four most popular water calculators to see where they get you. (Palmer's water spread sheet, EZ-Water, Brun-water, Brewer's Friend) Although without knowing your mineral content you are kind of flying blind.

Or you can do it like I do. Dough in, check the pH, adjust as needed.
here is some more information:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/10/mash-ph.html

Back