Step by Step Pumpkin Spice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if anyone can supply me with a step by step pumpkin spice brew recipe. Being that it is october and november i thought this would be great to serve at thanksgiving.

There are a couple of good recipes in the recipe database but I am afraid you are too late. Beers that use a lot of spices require a few months for the spices to mellow and blend. This beer would not be ready for thanksgiving and would probably be slightly green for the holidays.

I think one of the more common recipes for pumpkin ales this year was Yuri's Thunderstruck. I brewed an adaptation of this, using no real pumpkin. I tasted it this weekend as it went into the keg... this may be my favorite pumpkin ale ever.

Assuming you are all grain you can use my recipe below (i mashed a little high, and this made for a slightly higher FG, but I think it works well with this one):

Thunder Struck Pumpkin Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.058 Plato: 14.38
Anticipated SRM: 12.6
Anticipated IBU: 23.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
66.7 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.3 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Belgium 1.038 8
2.1 0.25 lbs. Crystal 120L Great Britain 1.033 120
6.3 0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
8.3 1.00 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
8.3 1.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.28 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 23.8 60 min.

Yeast
-----
Danstar Nottingham

Notes
-----
2 tbsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
0.25 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 min)
0.50 tsp Cloves, Crushed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.50 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 tsp Allspice (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 tsp Cinnamon (Ground) (Boil 5.0 min)

I received this recipe for a pumpkin spice brew, but you see I am brand new this will be my second batch. The first one I did was a home brew kit which turned out all right, but my buddy and I want to try something that’s not in a box, and experiment a bit.

Ingredients:
• 6-10 pounds of pumpkin
• 1 pound of Vienna malt, 4L
• ½ pound crystal malt, 40L
• ½ pound malted wheat
• 6 pounds light or amber malt extract
• 1 cup brown suger (optional)
• ½ cup molasses (optional)
• 1 ounce Mt. Hood hops (boiling)
• ½ ounce Hallertauer hops (finishing)
• ½ teaspoon vanilla
• ½ to 1 teaspon pumpkin pie spices (see below)
• Wyeast 1056, American Ale
Directions:
The first thing to say is do not use canned pumpkin! Real pumpkin is the only way to go here, otherwise you'll be dealing with a huge mess. You've been warned.
You'll first need to roast the pumpkin in the oven, similar to cooking squash. This softens the pumpkin and begins breaking it down. Cut the pumpkin into manageable pieces (should be cleaned, of course—old jack-o'lanterns work great), place in a shallow baking pan and add a bit of water to the pan. Roast in a 325°-ish oven for about an hour, or until soft. Or check a cookbook :).

My question is how do I know when to boil the hops and add in all the other stuff? In the do it yourself kit it gives you a step by step direction. Can anyone help me with this please?

Ryan_PA said:
I think one of the more common recipes for pumpkin ales this year was Yuri's Thunderstruck. I brewed an adaptation of this, using no real pumpkin. I tasted it this weekend as it went into the keg... this may be my favorite pumpkin ale ever.
I just received a few bottles of this brew from Ryan for comparison. I gotta say...I'm quite surprised! This beer is virtually indistinguishable from my own Thunderstruck, though it has NO pumpkin in it! The color is fantastic, the flavor is really nice, the spices are prominent, and it kinda tastes like...pumpkin! Additionally, mouthfeel and carbonation are just right, and I could enjoy a few of these on any given evening.

Great job on the beer, Ryan, and thank you for sharing! You've got me reconsidering using pumpkin in my pumpkin beer!

EDIT:
SWMBO just tasted Ryan's brew and claimed she remembers mine as a bit more flavorful. I'll do a side-by-side comparison sometime soon and take some notes for you.

Yuri_Rage said:
I just received a few bottles of this brew from Ryan for comparison. I gotta say...I'm quite surprised! This beer is virtually indistinguishable from my own Thunderstruck, though it has NO pumpkin in it! The color is fantastic, the flavor is really nice, the spices are prominent, and it kinda tastes like...pumpkin! Additionally, mouthfeel and carbonation are just right, and I could enjoy a few of these on any given evening.

Great job on the beer, Ryan, and thank you for sharing! You've got me reconsidering using pumpkin in my pumpkin beer!

EDIT:
SWMBO just tasted Ryan's brew and claimed she remembers mine as a bit more flavorful. I'll do a side-by-side comparison sometime soon and take some notes for you.

Thanks Yuri! I actually entered that brew into a local comp and got some darn good reviews. The only flaw they noted was that it appeared to have been oxidized, at least the few I sent them. I have since switched to oxygen absorbing caps. They also stated the mouthfeel was not as high as expected. I think I will up the grain bill and mash a few degrees higher next time.

Thanks again.

Back