Very Active Double IPA Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoMatt01

Reaction score
Right now I'm brewing a Double IPA. I brewed it yesterday and pitched the yeast last night. I got an OG of 1.090 at 84 degrees. When I pitched the yeast (white labs California ale) i had a super active yeast, it nearly exploded out of the vial. Tonight after work I came home to find beer all over the top of the fermenter and the airlock had foam all over it and the top of the fermenter looked like it was trying to pop off. I cleaned it off and not 3 minutes later the same happened again. I didn't take a picture of how it was when I got home but here is a picture of how it looks after about 3 minutes of cleaning everything and refilling the air lock (using rum). Anything I can do besides babysit this for eternity?

Forgot to attach the picture:

image-2941016474.jpg

take your siphon tube and fit it into the hole on top of your bucket( after sanitising it). put the other end in a bowl/bucket/glass with sanitising solution

Also worth mentioning. I filled the fermenter up with about 4.75 gallons of wert. So it's not like I put 6 gallons in either.

How does this look? Kinda ghetto but should it work? It's only filled with water and a tiny bit of bleach.

image-4241510416.jpg

That should work just fine as long as the hops and proteins don't clog the bubbler. I used to use that method until I got carboys and used a 1 1/4 vinyl tube for a blowoff.

Thanks for the replies everybody. Looks like it has been working and hasn't clogged yet. Ill keep watching it periodically. Just for my future reference though did this happen because of my super active yeast or because of the higher gravity?

MotoMatt01 said:
How does this look? Kinda ghetto but should it work? It's only filled with water and a tiny bit of bleach.

Bleach? I'd use a no bleach sanitizer personally. Just in case of suckback.

Im fairly new to brewing, but I had this happen to me on my first batch, and decided then that it never would happen to me again. I now use a blow off tube for every batch. Sometimes I dont get any sediment in the hose, which means I didn't need it, but most my batches do. For instance, I just did a belgian dark strong that I used a1 1/4" blow off hose that went absolutely nuts for the first few days. I had to empty the bucket the tube was going in because it was over flowing with krausen and spilling ask over the floor.

DGibb said:
Bleach? I'd use a no bleach sanitizer personally. Just in case of suckback.

Or any hard alcohol. That Popov vodka your. Cheap ass buddies bring over works nice!

So I just drained the jar filled with bleach water and filled it with 50% water and 50% cheap rum i had sitting around that i wasnt planning on drinking. I also had to shorten the blow off tube because i needed the hosing to brew a second batch of beer last night. It is working great so far. Definitely slowed down but from now on i will probably just use a blowoff system. Probably build 2 shelves in the "brewing closet" in the picture for jars to sit on.

Latest posts

Back