would this work???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dab the man

Reaction score
i am kinda new to brewing, so please dont laught too much

Wash apples carefully, slice and core them. Coarse in a grinder, put in a container, add sugar (1 kg apple mince - 150 g sugar) and tie up with gauze and leave in a warm place for 2-4 days. Apple mince float to the surface and the juice is on the bottom. Strain the juice and squeeze apple mince. Add more sugar (1 l apple juice - 120 g sugar), cover the container tightly and leave for 15-20 days to ferment. When the fermantation is over, bottle cider and cork up.

??
Dan

Only one problem...no alcohol! :)

What would your yield be using only pure apple juice/mince? That's a lot of apples if you plan on making anything over a 20oz.

humm,
the blerb said the yeast in the apple skins makes the alcohol.

so what would i need to improve the yeild?

I'm not familiar with that practice but it sounds interesting. Is it like wild yeast or something? I would say adding water to the mix but idk if that would dilute it too much.

Quite frankly, with leaving the pulp and skins in and natural fermentation, I'd be concerned about methanol (wood alcohol) being produced. This is one of the big dangers in homemade grappa. Also, your method would remove most of the yeast anyway.

Juice the apples, let the juice ferment, then add the sugar. Won't be as good as cider made with a cider yeast, but it should be ok.

getting the juice out can be a real pain - if you haven't got a press you may make life easier by first freezing the apples and letting them thaw this should soften them up so that once they are macerated (cut up in a blender etc) its even easier to press out the juice by hand through a tea towel or similar.

Matt

Back