Non Air Tight Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppedupDad

Reaction score
So just as the title says if I use one of those primarys that has a lid that is not air tight will my brew be pooched? I did transfer over to a secondary carboy to finish it off. Should I just go with the carboy next time?
The ferment was good had a good crust on top.
Can you help or give suggestions? Thanks

image-3471831069.jpg

As long as there is something mostly covering it your fine. Primary fermentation produces so much co2 that it would push out air not letting anything too nasty get in there. The only way you would be pooched is if something foreign like a fruit fly or some random bits of something that had mold or bacteria on there got in there. Since you have a lid on there you should be fine. I usually only use a piece of aluminum foil over the neck of my carboys for primary and that works fine for me.

Not a big deal. If it make you feel more comfortable, ferment in the carboy next time. I have a couple bucket lids that leak and it doesn't hurt anything.

jtejedor said:
As long as there is something mostly covering it your fine. Primary fermentation produces so much co2 that it would push out air not letting anything too nasty get in there. The only way you would be pooched is if something foreign like a fruit fly or some random bits of something that had mold or bacteria on there got in there. Since you have a lid on there you should be fine. I usually only use a piece of aluminum foil over the neck of my carboys for primary and that works fine for me.

Sweet thanks
Cheers

BBL_Brewer said:
Not a big deal. If it make you feel more comfortable, ferment in the carboy next time. I have a couple bucket lids that leak and it doesn't hurt anything.

Thanks for the help

So really i am just adding an extra step by using the open primary

One fermentor is fine for most typical brews, there are going to be other brews that you may learn you want to use secondary. Use bucket or carboy, either works, buckets sometimes get scratches that make sanitizing a problem.

I tend to ferment most of my brews and meads without airlocks these days. I usually just wrap carboy neck with foil or if fermented in bucket set a lid on top without snapping it on. Never a problem in cold Alberta winters here. But I would not suggest doing same during summer months. Fruit flies will find their way in for sure and ruin the batch.

paraordnance said:
I tend to ferment most of my brews and meads without airlocks these days. I usually just wrap carboy neck with foil or if fermented in bucket set a lid on top without snapping it on. Never a problem in cold Alberta winters here. But I would not suggest doing same during summer months. Fruit flies will find their way in for sure and ruin the batch.

Thanks being from Alberta I know about the damn fruit flys
Thanks

Latest posts

Back