Brew Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tohadlock

Reaction score
A lot of good discussion here guys.

I am looking for a brew kit that I can start off with as a beginner but at the same time be able to use several years from now if/when I am doing all grain brewing.

So far what I "think" is the best deal is at the URL below.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

I was thinking of buying the "Deluxe Starter Kit".

Also, I am looking for a low cost boiling pot that I can later use for all grain brewing so I was trying not to get the smallest I neeed.

Also, I am wanting to boil outside so I am thinking of an outside propane burner.

All suggestions are welcome for this newbie.

Thanks

Wow- you're starting off thinking about a kit I wished I would have chosen! I started smaller, but had to buy more items to get what I needed.

For a propane burner, there are some around here who use turkey fryers. I'm not sure how they work- but someone else will chime in and let you know.

If you are doing partial boils (how most people start out), a smaller pot is fine. You may have one laying around- I use my canning pot. But for All grain or a full boil, you need a much larger pot, I'd say 40 quarts. You want something that is durable and won't scorch on the bottom. Quality is important in this case.

Any questions you have are always welcome.

Also keep in mind that you don't need to go b***s and all to make good beer. A regular stove, a reasonably large brew pot and a quality malt extract kit with specialty grains will make you good stuff on your first batch. While going all grain on the first batch is admirable, it isn't really necessary.

tohadlock said:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

I was thinking of buying the "Deluxe Starter Kit".

Looks like a good choice. I get the impression that many try to get into this hobby with a smaller startup cost, but end up spending the difference and more, anyways, to get the equipment you would be getting with the "Deluxe Starter Kit". I'm in that boat now myself, considering a glass carboy for secondary fermentation, having started with two plastic buckets just a few of months ago.

Good Luck and Happy Brewing.:mug:

I bought the same kit to start and about a minute after I got done brewing I already started planning more. I went out a week later and purchased another 300 bucks worth of equipment.

The it you show will do what you want, but if you want multiple batches going you will add on...but get it from what little I know the price is right

Check out the intermediate kit from midwest. I like that one a lot for the $$$. I took that kit then made my own for cheaper at morebeer.com Because of where I am, shipping made the difference.

For propane burners, get a turkey fryer with a 30qt aluminum pot. Taht gets you outside, gets the pot out of the way and keeps you under $50 if you do it on ebay. The fryers come with both the burner and the pot. One of my best investments....

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!! and welcome to the obsession............

I just purchased the intermediate kit from Midwest with better bottles and racking ports. I couldn't be more happy. I am only on my first brew but have the ingredients for a second on the way. .

Whatever you end up with, save the boxes the carboys come in. Cut the tabs off of the side you open and cut a hole big enough for the airlock on the bottom. Makes for a cheap/functional carboy cover.
:mug:

Back